wound now has maggots

Don't use betadine, use a nolvasan product instead to rinse the wound.  Just flushing with warm water is good, and then apply Silvadene, or triple antibiotic ointment if you have that.  Make sure that the maggots and fly eggs are all gone, and check her vent area too.  Immediately!  Gently soak the scab off if there's pus and gunk under it, and then use the ointment.  Mary

Do like this says and clean it thoroughly with Nolvasan (chlorhexadine). Peroxide and alcohol are ineffective cleaners. Spend the money and get the Nolvasan. If you can't afford it, get some betadine, but Nolvasan would be *much* better.

-Kathy

Thanks guys. I will get the nolvasan, too and remove all the cheesy gunk. She's such a sweet bird and has been putting up with this for too long. I just want to do my best to save her. She deserves a happy ending

My dog & cat vet won't give a prescription without seeing the animal first. So we have an appointment for Wednesday.

Assuming I got rid of all the maggots and eggs and there is no infestation when I get home, how often do you guys think I should be cleaning the wound? I have been doing it every 3 days, because I was worried I was damaging the tissue by pulling the scab off too often.

My dog & cat vet won't give a prescription without seeing the animal first. So we have an appointment for Wednesday.

Assuming I got rid of all the maggots and eggs and there is no infestation when I get home, how often do you guys think I should be cleaning the wound? I have been doing it every 3 days, because I was worried I was damaging the tissue by pulling the scab off too often.
As long as the pus is under the scab it will never heal.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy!
Yeah...that's after cleaning and her feathers and wings are covering up some of it. It is honestly pretty awful. and I am almost scared to voice this, but down the center, I think I can see the bone ridge where her spine is. There, I said it.... sigh. but she's been living with her back like this for months. (although covered with a sterile pad and a stretchwrap bandage) There just isn't a lot of muscle on the top of the back I guess.

Thanks Kathy!
Yeah...that's after cleaning and her feathers and wings are covering up some of it.  It is honestly pretty awful. and I am almost scared to voice this, but down the center, I think I can see the bone ridge where her spine is.  There, I said it.... sigh.  but she's been living with her back like this for months. (although covered with a sterile pad and a stretchwrap bandage) There just isn't a lot of muscle on the top of the back I guess.

Yeah, I've had a couple like that, but good news is they can heal from that type of wound. They only wound I think I would cull would be one where I could see intestines.

-Kathy

Talked to a friend of mine who is a vet and she recommended hydrotherapy... spraying wound for 10 min twice a day with a hand sprayer... to stimulate regrowth of tissue.
Wish my water pressure was better...

Back
Top Bottom