Wounded meat birds

UncleHoot

Songster
12 Years
May 22, 2007
St. Johns, Michigan
I believe that something has attacked my chickens on a couple of occasions. Both times, I went out in the morning, and noticed massive head wounds on one of the birds. After about a week, the first guy had healed up to the point that I couldn't spot him anymore, and then the next day, I found another one with even more severe wounds.

Initially, I thought the first guy had simply been pecked at repeatedly. But the secound chicken actually had at least 3 large scrapes across the back of his head and neck. I guess it's possible that the other chickens were responsible, but I find it quite unlikely, since they were both allowed to heal without any more pecking. Also, in both cases, the chickens seem perfectly healthy, except for the obvious.

Well, regardless of the cause, I'm raising these critters for meat. I had one chicken get into a scuffle with a possum or raccoon last year, one wing was completely destroyed, and I wasn't sure he was going to make it. But he did, and we ate him (everything but the wing).

But now I have 53 chickens, and most of them are going to be sold. Assuming the wounds heal up nicely, is there any risk to potential buyers? I figure nobody eats the head, so I'm not planning to worry too much.

no worries mate! the processor will cut off the bad spot.
As long as he is alive and walks up to the gillotine he will be ok to eat.You probably won't even know which one he was. Will

Back
Top Bottom