Wrong foot

Nugget

Songster
12 Years
Sep 2, 2007
I got into chickens doing a few things wrong, but hoped for the best. I think I am going to be paying for it now.

We finished the coop and had an order placed for chicks. We had a stray little lost chicken land on our laps. We impulsively kept her. Now we were worried about mixing chicks with an older bantam hen of unknown history.

We then got to pick up our chicks, but only half of the eggs hatched. The farmer offered a chick about a week old and a pullet about 6 weeks old. I figured, they all came from the same farm, and I was feeling trusting. We took them home. I changed and sterilized the coop with dilute bleach and put the pullet in. I changed the cage the pullet had been in, and put the bantam in there (without sterilizing it).

Today I saw the pullet in the coop. She staggered and fell on her side. I lifted her onto a perch. She fell like a sandbag to the floor, rolling her head around over her back, obviously very dizzy. After a minute she could stand and eat.

So. I'm going to talk to the farmer and take the pullet back. I'll have to bleach the coop again, and what to do with that lovely little bantam. She's got such a great personality, but I am worried she's now exposed to whatever the pullet has. How frustrating. I guess I know what I have to do, I just felt the need to post and share it. Anyone been through anything like this? Any suggestions on mixing chicks with an older hen (the bantam)? Maybe introduce a male to her (when I can tell the difference) since I wasn't thinking of keeping the males. If he stays healthy then add the females, and if he gets sick find a new home for the bantam?

sigh

Last edited:
Nugget, I'd be suprised if the farmer takes back that pullet. Maybe someone here can give you some suggestions on trying to care for her with those particular symptoms.
I would definitely move the healthy bird out of there.
If you get more chickens, keep them seperate for at least 4 weeks. And coming from the same farm doesn't mean they were housed together.
Good luck with your little pullet. Please let us know what happens.

I've only had the chickens 3 days. Do you really think he would refuse to take her?

To be clearer, I originally had the bantam in the coop.

When I got the chicks and the pullet, I the pullet in a rabbit cage at first. I sanitized the coop and put the pullet out there, then put the bantam in the rabbit cage in my basement (it's temporary). Unfortunately the rabbit cage didn't get bleached. If the pullet has something contagious, I've now exposed the bantam.

The chicks are in my dining room under a heat light. I've been careful about not bringing any disease in to them. I think they're safe so far.

Last edited:
That's why you should quarantine ANY birds that you bring in for a month...
As for the dizzy pullet, it could be a disease or she could have gotten smacked on the head or she could have gotten into something that poisoned her.
And if the farmer takes her back, he'll probably do away with her...
I'd keep her and her buddy and the chicks separate for now.
does the pullet have any other symptoms?

She's thin. Her keel is prominent. She's got a great appetite, eyes are bright, she seems energetic and these dizzy spells appear to be intermittent with normal activity between. She won't perch though.

There are a lot of chicken illnesses that they can be chronic carriers of aren't there? So far only the babies have been in direct contact with each other. The older ones have traded housing but haven't been in direct contact

I doubt the farmer will want to take the pullet back because then he risks introducing a "outsider" into his flock. How old is the pullet? I have some that do not roost till they are about 2 months old. As for cleaning things, some things are air borne too so be careful. On some closed flocks, you have to shower in and shower out and not have had contact with any birds for 10 days before entry. I hope your healthy birds stay healthy. Maybe he offered you the pullet because it was weak and being beat up on his it's original flock so it's just nutrition deprived? We can always hope for the best right?

Some birds never perch either, so it's normal if she doesn't want to...
I'm wondering if she just came off of a broody episode...they can get really light because they don't eat enough because they're busy incubating their eggs.

I believe she's 6 weeks old, although he said she wasn't far from starting to lay. Does that sound right? She looks adult. I had her out today and she seemed perfectly fine. Maybe she was malnourished and overwhelmed with the stresses of moving?

I have the chicks in 1 airspace, the bantam in the basement, and the pullet in the coop. I am being careful about washing hands and not using the same scoops etc for the chickens.

Thanks so much for your input. I have books, but nothing beats practical advice

You're welcome.
6 weeks is very young for a girl to start laying...so I think he's insane!
20 weeks is more like it.
She could certainly have been stressed out. Chickens hate change of any kind. Slifer and Obelisk were really po'd at me when I started working and they couldn't be out all day.

Back
Top Bottom