Wry Neck Chicken

BFChicks

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2021
I have a 16 week old Lavender Orpington chick with wry neck. I have read the posts about Vitamin E and selenium along with Vitamin B. While her neck is bent to the right, the left side of her neck/shoulder seems to be enlarged. She also scratches her head on the left side. Is this a symptom of wry neck or is the swelling an injury that is causing the wry neck. And is it treatable? Thank you for your help.
IMG_1443 (1).jpg

What does the enlargement on the left side feel like - is it swollen? Fluid filled, air filled, hard?
If you look at the skin and feather follicles on the left side do you notice any scabs, oozing, impacted follicles, etc.?

She's scratching the left side, can you look in her ear to make sure there's no infection or mites in the ear?

How long has she been like this?

What do you feed, including treats?

I'd still work on vitamin therapy - give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Give her a treat of egg once daily for the uptake of E, the egg is your "selenium supply".

I have a chicken that I got in May and she looks exactly the same!! I haven't found any way to fix it. I've given all the suggested vitamins. I hate seeing her not have a normal chicken life. I have to build different things to accommodate her disability. 😥

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230912_084030_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230912_084030_Gallery.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 13
I have a chicken that I got in May and she looks exactly the same!! I haven't found any way to fix it. I've given all the suggested vitamins. I hate seeing her not have a normal chicken life. I have to build different things to accommodate her disability. 😥
Welcome To BYC

She may be suffering from a bone or spinal deformity instead of Wry Neck. It's good that you are able to make adjustments and accommodate her.

Back
Top Bottom