Wry Neck/ Diarrhea

bigbird

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Northern Kentucky
Hello!
I have an 8 year old silkie that has developed wry neck.
I started him on vitamin E and selenium this morning, and tonight he has developed diarrhea.
I am putting his meds in cooked oatmeal.
I also started him on probiotics and electrolytes tonight.
Anyone have any idea what has caused the diarrhea or what I can give him to stop it?
I was also thinking about giving him bananas for potassium, and hard boiled eggs for protein. Would a little plain yogurt be good too?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I would guess maybe too much vitamin E??? Not sure how much you gave him. or if that would throw off his digestion since it's a fat soluble vitamin.
Yogurt might help. Someone on here suggested cooked rice mixed in with scrambled egg and I found that helpful. Are you still giving him his regular chicken food? If he is still eating that I wouldn't add a bunch of different foods. That could also cause some runny poop if he's not used to it. I have also moistened chicken feed and mixed it with oatmeal so they are still getting some chicken appropriate nutrition.

Hope he improves!

Hello!
I have an 8 year old silkie that has developed wry neck.
I started him on vitamin E and selenium this morning, and tonight he has developed diarrhea.
I am putting his meds in cooked oatmeal.
I also started him on probiotics and electrolytes tonight.
Anyone have any idea what has caused the diarrhea or what I can give him to stop it?
I was also thinking about giving him bananas for potassium, and hard boiled eggs for protein. Would a little plain yogurt be good too?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
The diarrhea may be due to change in foods if he's not used to oatmeal or it may be the vitamins.
I would provide his normal feed along with a treat of egg. Egg has sufficient Selenium. If you are giving extra Selenium then take care you're not giving too much since it can be toxic.
I would get 400IU Vitamin E into him along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex.

Has he had Wry Neck before? 8yrs old is getting on up there so he may have other issues going on. Is he lice/mites free?

I would guess maybe too much vitamin E??? Not sure how much you gave him. or if that would throw off his digestion since it's a fat soluble vitamin.
Yogurt might help. Someone on here suggested cooked rice mixed in with scrambled egg and I found that helpful. Are you still giving him his regular chicken food? If he is still eating that I wouldn't add a bunch of different foods. That could also cause some runny poop if he's not used to it. I have also moistened chicken feed and mixed it with oatmeal so they are still getting some chicken appropriate nutrition.

Hope he improves!
Hi! Thanks for the advice. I am giving him the recommended dosage of 400IU of vitamin E. I have added the yogurt and he is still eating his chicken feed.
if the selenium and E doesn’t fix/cure this wry neck, what should I try next? Can he just continue to live like this?

Back
Top Bottom