Wry neck in adult?

christinethemac

Chirping
Mar 29, 2017
I've been treating this adult bird for wry neck for 2 weeks. Has improved some, but still happens periodically throughout the day. Started after she'd been broody for a few weeks. Can it be something other than wry neck? Giving this bird poly vi sol/selenium/vitamin e twice a day is wearing me out. She can't roost and sleeps in egg box at night. Whenever she's in the egg box she goes into wry neck mode looking up and walking backwards like she's dizzy.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Nankin hen, 6 months old, weight is fine
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Has periods when neck goes straight up, walks backwards. Snaps in and out of it. Can't roost at night.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 weeks
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Was broody for a few weeks then this started happening
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. yes
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal poo
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? selenium, vitamin e, poly vi sol for 2 weeks
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? treat completely
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use nice coop
wry.jpg

I've not gotten much feedback from anywhere. I guess as long as she can still eat and drink leave her be.
I am having to tube feed mine. She is slowly improving though. I also am giving her vitamin B and she got her second shot of duramycin today. She is staying in my guest bedroom door now because I'm sure the heat won't help anything (it was 112 today). I suppose if she's not making any more improvement by the end of the week I'll put her down :(

Many things can cause wry neck or torticolis, such as head injury, vitamin E or B1 deficiency, respiratory diseases and viruses, such as Mareks and leukosis. Since the hen was broody, it may be a vitamin deficiency. Since it is wearing you out as I can understand, I would place her in a wire dog crate with her own food and water, but near the other chickens so that she is still part of the flock. You may need to move her inside and outside as they go about their day. Mix some cooked egg daily with vitamins, and place it in her crate with her feed. Egg has selenium. My chickens love wet feed, so if she doesn’t eat eggs well, you could mix a small bowl of the wet chicken feed with the vitamins.

Of course, if she cannot eat and drink on her own, you may need to continue helping her eat. The wet feed mixed with a lot of water is good to feed, and they can be wrapped in a towel to feed. Wry neck can be very frustrating to treat, so hand in there.

Can you eat a bird with wry neck? I have a 3 month old Brahma who just started showing signs yesterday. I isolated her so that she has ample time and opportunity to food and water. Ive also fed her eggs with thyme today. She tried to feed but its obviously difficult for her. I understand that treatment can take weeks but that some never come out of it.
If that proves to be the case and we would need to put her down, is she edible? If she is otherwise healthy, i would hate to see her sacrifice be wasted.

Back
Top Bottom