Wry neck...Treat or euthanize?? UPDATED with GREAT results!!

Pics
Well, she just died.
I kinda expected it based on how she looked before I left her in the evening.
hide.gif
. I guess I'll never have a favorite hen again, it is just so unfair to loose exactly those. My only GCM? And she was SOOO beatiful! The nicest GCM color I can imagine!

Due to her very fast deterioration I started to look at all possibilities, Marek's was last.. Looking at the pictures of chicks which have/had Marek's , I am rather convinced she died of Marek's.
She had a last light green stool, too, not bloody stool like they should have in Newcastle.

But how can a vaccinated chick die of Marek's in just 2 days??
he.gif

So sorry for your loss. Most likely it was not Marek's at that age. They generally start to develop symptoms more like the 4 month and up stage. The Marek's vaccine does not keep them from getting the illness, it just reduces the symptoms and not even that in all vaccinate chicks. There are 2 different vaccine types ad they have different effectiveness rtes. One is only available to hatcheries from what I understand. Wry neck is fairly common in young chicks and usually a vitamin thing. Sometimes they did not develop properly in the egg, sometimes it is the result of the health of the hen before the egg was even laid (not that the hen would have had wry neck and passed it on, but if her health was not optimal she may not have had the needed "ingredients" to add to the egg at the time it was forming). Sometimes you just never know what happened. The other chicks from the same hatch may all be just fine and for some reason only that one had issues. Just rest in the knowledge that you did everything you could to help it.

Thanks for your post. Did you crush the prednisolon and had in water or what did you do and how much?
Thank you.

I have a 3 year old Barred Rock Cross rooster that weighed about 11lbs at his best. He started looking like he had a large knot on the left side of his neck, like his crop had changed position. When I went to feel it, I noted that his neck was actually in a 1/2 S shape. He has also lost weight. I noticed the "knot" appearing about 1 wk ago, but thought I was just seeing him at a weird angle. He has been as active as ever to this point but tonight when he went in to roost, he started having a balance issue. He got up to roost, but seemed to be leaning on his left wing to stay up on the bar. At 3 years old, could he be getting wry neck? Or is that mostly for younger birds? He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms.

I have a 3 year old Barred Rock Cross rooster that weighed about 11lbs at his best.  He started looking like he had a large knot on the left side of his neck, like his crop had changed position.  When I went to feel it, I noted that his neck was actually in a 1/2 S shape.  He has also lost weight.  I noticed the "knot" appearing about 1 wk ago, but thought I was just seeing him at a weird angle.  He has been as active as ever to this point but tonight when he went in to roost, he started having a balance issue.  He got up to roost, but seemed to be leaning on his left wing to stay up on the bar.  At 3 years old, could he be getting wry neck? Or is that mostly for younger birds? He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms.

This is an old thread , but no wry neck is not age specific. Any bird that is suffering a vitamin deficiency can be inflicted. Some Brewers yeast sprinkled on the feed or marmite on bread is a good substitute if you don't have a poultry multi vitamin on hand.

Ok, I'm currently giving him Nutri-drench with vitamin E and selenium. I'm now giving it 2x daily. Any other suggestions?

You are on the right track, sometimes it can take several weeks to sort out. It is best to keep the patient in isolation . Check your feed regime and don't store feed for long periods of time or where the moist air can get to. Some of the better feeds contain minerals , vitamins and amino acids , but unfortunately they break down after only a few weeks. I give my silkies ( prone to wry neck ) a weekly treat of boiled rice /pasta with turmeric (anti inflammatory ) and a tin of generic mackerel in oil which is high in omega 3. They love it and I can see the benefits in my entire flock.

Back
Top Bottom