Wry neck, when to call it quits?

harveyhorses

Songster
11 Years
Jan 16, 2010
Powhatan Va
I have a 7 MO Easter egger, I have been treating for about 3 weeks. I swear she is feral, hates HATES being handled and totally panicked when I separated her from the flock, bad enough she couldn't control where she was going but the added thrashing was really bad, she was in a dog crate inside the coop area. I've never had a hen dislike me so much, but she is o.k. when she is with the flock. She has improved a lot, can eat and drink and get around, but she will still just fall over and not be able to get up for a bit and scramble. I was on vacation when this started so I got her 'over the hump' but now I am back to work and she is not improving any further. they are getting sunflower seeds and spinach along with their regular feed. The others are not picking on her, and come to hang out by her when she is down.
I lost one about a month ago to this, but I was working insane hours and didn't catch it until she was really down.
I don't know what I am doing wrong, good quality feed, electrolytes in their water every other fill, the other 6 are thriving and I'm getting 3-5 eggs a day, they are all under a year. two others are just at 7 months too.
I don't want to come home and find her unable to get in the coop, in the cold and rain. UGH.
suggestions?

Sunflower seed contains plenty of selenium, and egg, tuna also have it. SF seed also has some vitamin E, and spinach and chopped almonds are also good sources. Many chicken vitamins such as NutriDrench and Poultry Cell also contain both. Thiamine or B1 is another important vitamin for wry neck. But you should make sure that her chicken feed makes up at least 90% of her diet.

Causes of wry neck can be due to vitamin deficiency, head injury, a genetic predisposition for it, and it is found in certain infectious diseases, such as Mareks. Since she eats and drinks okay, it really depends on how much extra care she requires.

Sorry, yes she is getting E, selenium and Poly Vi sol, no iron. that's the big challenge since she hates being handled. I know she is better because if I don't get her while she is in the coop I have to pretty much chase her down and corner her. and then she will flop over on her side and go in circles. Then hop up like nothing ever happened. Well maybe not quite that easy, more can't quite trust the ground not to move again. Her poop is normal.

No, the other was a BO, I'm wondering if they could have ingested something, but they didn't/don't have symptoms of botulism. their coop is in a shed that was used for all sorts of storage, buckets of driveway tar, paint, etc. none of they containers had leaked and I thought I did a thorough clean out before they moved in.
their actual 'lock them up at night' coop has a brand new floor and walls, but I leave the shed part open so they have room to move around when the weather is bad. there is a gravel floor in in. Their run is poultry netting about 60 x 100, under and around trees. They are pretty spoiled, but they could have dug up something? Nancy and Melody (the BO) never got much of a comb and seemed a little behind the others. Came from different farms.
Goodness I can ramble.... just trying to figure it out.
Also want to get some new ladies this spring.

If you lose more than one bird from the same condition, it may be time to consider a necropsy and lab work. I can give you contact information for your state lab if you let us know what state you're in.

VA is a big poultry producing state.
Here's your state lab.
VDACS Harrisonburg Regional Animal Health Laboratory
261 Mt. Clinton Pike
Harrisonburg, Virginia 22802-2551
Phone: 540-209-9130

Prices vary dramatically from state to state. Some are even free. Most will send you a fedex label for shipping.

Back
Top Bottom