Wyandotte not laying at 28 weeks?

Nimby Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Oct 20, 2010
Central FL
Is this normal? I have some EE's (2 of them) hatched the same day that I don't expect to lay eggs for a little while, but shouldn't the wyandotte lay by now?

I'm going to put lights in the coop within the next few days for sure.

Quote:
Ours isn't either and she is about the same age
idunno.gif
. Out of 9 chickens she is one of 3 left not laying.

I'd love to know when they start laying eggs, so if anyone has experience with this breed hopefully they can post some of their experience.

Quote:
idunno.gif

I'd love to know when they start laying eggs, so if anyone has experience with this breed hopefully they can post some of their experience.

SMILE
D.gif

I have 3 out of 9 that ARE laying
frow.gif

Quote:
idunno.gif

SMILE
D.gif

I have 3 out of 9 that ARE laying
frow.gif

We were in the same boat just a few weeks ago!
lol.png

It's just amazing to us that our Red Star started at ~18 weeks old and has only missed 1 day thus far but some of our other "early maturing" breeds aren't laying at all yet.

Must be normal, my Wyandotte is the same age and has not laid a single egg! My neighbors wyandottes are both a month younger and they are laying.

My wyandotte was the last to lay in my entire flock. Even my friend's Wyandottes were the last to lay in her flock. I mean significantly later than the other chickens. Eventually she started laying beautiful brown healthy eggs and was a great layer (even through winter). All hens are destined to lay, I am sure she will start laying
smile.png
Good Luck!

chickies&bees :

My wyandotte was the last to lay in my entire flock. Even my friend's Wyandottes were the last to lay in her flock. I mean significantly later than the other chickens. Eventually she started laying beautiful brown healthy eggs and was a great layer (even through winter). All hens are destined to lay, I am sure she will start laying
smile.png
Good Luck!

I was really surprised when my Blue Andalusian laid an egg before my Wyandotte. The wyandotte has appeared to be mature enough for a lot longer stretch of time than many of the other hens in the flock that are currently laying eggs.​

Over the years I have had many breeds of chickens. Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, EEs, Leghorn, Wyandottes, Mixed breeds & Red Sex Linked. I never had one breed that didn't have some of the girls laying by 20 weeks & all laying by 22-24 except the RSL of course. They started laying at 18 weeks. All were hatched April-May except the RSL which were hatched in July.

Back
Top Bottom