Wyandottes and Texas heat

awagnon

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2012
Gainesville, TX area
I am considering adding 2 Wyandottes to my mixed flock. One article I read says they are both cold and heat hardy, but the other says they can have trouble in the heat. (What bird doesn't, usually) lol Is anyone here in Texas (north central area) keeping this breed and what are their experiences with them in our HOT Texas summers?

I am considering adding 2 Wyandottes to my mixed flock. One article I read says they are both cold and heat hardy, but the other says they can have trouble in the heat. (What bird doesn't, usually) lol Is anyone here in Texas (north central area) keeping this breed and what are their experiences with them in our HOT Texas summers?
If pea comb breeds can I'm sure wyandottes can. Also my English Orpingtons have done ok as well.

I have a few wyandottes in west central Texas and they do as well as anyone in the summer. I do provide wading pools and sometimes blocks of ice in extreme heat.

Back
Top Bottom