Thoughts on Speckled Sussex?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
I Like having a very mixed flock and have an order in for June with a variety of new-to-me breeds. Im considering adding a speckled Sussex as they're available on the same ship date as the rest of my order. Id have to swap out one of the birds I already have in my order since my space is limited. I love the look of the Sussex but would like some personal experience with the breed. Are they good layers? Are they typically noisy? Docile? Do I need one or should I skip it? I want to add that where I live gets very hot in the summer so breeds need to be able to tolerate that. I do assist them of course, but I know some breeds REALLY can't handle the heat. Let me know your thoughts!

Mine was a good layer and very personable, followed me around like a puppy dog lol not very loud either. But also a bit stupid and not a great mother if that matters :lau :oops: but she was gorgeous and I loved having her. But it depends what other breeds you are getting and what she would be replacing if you need one or not lol

Mine was a good layer and very personable, followed me around like a puppy dog lol not very loud either. But also a bit stupid and not a great mother if that matters :lau :oops: but she was gorgeous and I loved having her. But it depends what other breeds you are getting and what she would be replacing if you need one or not lol
Well my order has 3 australorps, so id swap one of those for a Sussex. I don't have a rooster so the mothering side doesn't matter. I don't mind stupid. My Polish is super...unique...well call it. And I love her for that

I had four, and they were some of the friendliest birds I've owned. Mine typically laid 3-4 eggs a week, not very noisy, and good foragers. I'm in SC so similar temps to y'all. They did great in our heat.

I had four, and they were some of the friendliest birds I've owned. Mine typically laid 3-4 eggs a week, not very noisy, and good foragers. I'm in SC so similar temps to y'all. They did great in our heat.
Thank you! If they can handle SC then they can handle here for sure. I lived in SC for many years and youre right, its not too far off.

Back
Top Bottom