Wyoming Chicken Lover!

I currently don't have eggs, but will in the spring. I will have Cream Legbars, French Black Copper Marans, Brahmas and some Easter Eggers. I am done with incubating until then. I have seven cream legbars that I had shipped from the MD in my garage brooder now...they are only about a month old and that is the last of my "babies" for 2012.

Do all of you have the different breeds seperate?
I have Golden laced Wyandottes, RiR's, Barred Rocks, FBMC's, Ameraucana's, Easter eggers and Olive eggers....some of them are seperate and some of them are not, so if anyone is interested in an egg swap, please let me know..I have eggs (not too many) but enough to swap...My last incubating attempt @ the nursing home went completely wrong (all the eggs took at least a week to ship....that's why I'm looking in Wyoming) zero hatched so I really would like to try it again....but with eggs of the breeds we don't have ....maybe some FBMC's I love that breed......oooh and cream legbar sounds great (they are gorgious!) ...let me know when you ladies have eggs available asap so we can do a swap...

Do all of you have the different breeds seperate? I have Golden laced Wyandottes, RiR's, Barred Rocks, FBMC's, Ameraucana's, Easter eggers and Olive eggers....some of them are seperate and some of them are not, so if anyone is interested in an egg swap, please let me know..I have eggs (not too many) but enough to swap...My last incubating attempt @ the nursing home went completely wrong (all the eggs took at least a week to ship....that's why I'm looking in Wyoming) zero hatched so I really would like to try it again....but with eggs of the breeds we don't have ....maybe some FBMC's I love that breed......oooh and cream legbar sounds great (they are gorgious!) ...let me know when you ladies have eggs available asap so we can do a swap...
I don't keep any of mine seperate. Recently ate our rooster as he attacked my son. Some other roosters growing but not mature yet so I have lots of eggs, just none fertile. :p

We had snow but it's gone!!
How's the wind in Lander?????
Ayda
Also had skunks
barnie.gif
Our dogs can prove it!! Am wondering if anyone else has any trouble with skunks and their chickens.
Have tons of skunks in the area. They come around at night. I've learned to let my dogs out when they start making a fuss. They keep most everything away or dead. ;)

Do all of you have the different breeds seperate? I have Golden laced Wyandottes, RiR's, Barred Rocks, FBMC's, Ameraucana's, Easter eggers and Olive eggers....some of them are seperate and some of them are not, so if anyone is interested in an egg swap, please let me know..I have eggs (not too many) but enough to swap...My last incubating attempt @ the nursing home went completely wrong (all the eggs took at least a week to ship....that's why I'm looking in Wyoming) zero hatched so I really would like to try it again....but with eggs of the breeds we don't have ....maybe some FBMC's I love that breed......oooh and cream legbar sounds great (they are gorgious!) ...let me know when you ladies have eggs available asap so we can do a swap...
At the moment no, they are all together in two coops. However, I none of my boys are old enough to be mating. In the spring when they are all mature the individuals I am going to breed are going into their own breeding pens that will be part of the new coop. I have 2 good sets of cream legbars and two good sets of FBCMs. So I am sure by May I will have checked fertility and will be ready to part with some fertile eggs or chicks.

I know just what you mean about the issues with shipped eggs...I spent a ton of money this year and have had a mixed bag of results. I think I am set now with what I want for the moment, although I am still looking for some showgirls and nice NN rooster for my NN hens. Chcken math...never ending you all know this! I am also looking into some Lemon Cuckoo Orps. I had seven eggs shipped to me this summer for those as well, but they were all scrambled from the horrible USPS handling...box came all dented in...gotta love that!

Those lemon cuckoo Orpingtons look amazing!
I had in total 2 incubators with 50 eggs and non hatched all came from different States..sooo bummed after our Nursing home episode (stolen chickens) they still haven't had any chicks hatch
Working on Olive eggers right now, yeah....so hopefully we'll have some hatch of my own batch...

Do you adjust for hatching at high elevation? I have learned to up my humidity to between 55-68% during incubation and then up it even a bit more for hatching. I also don't put them on a turner until about day 4-5, if they are shipped eggs. I have also started keeping any that have a detached air sac upright in a carton all the way through hatch...this does seem to increase my hatch rate on shipped eggs. But I had some eggs where not even one developed and I think it was because it took sooo long for them to get to Wyoming. I have tracked eggs shipments and for some reason some are sitting for nearly 48 hours in Denver. I finally gave up on eggs with for the Cream Legbars and had live chicks shipped from Georgia and Maryland.

Did you ever get any leads on the stolen chickens? I would for sure love to help you out in the spring with some chicks or eggs. Just stay in touch. :)

How do you increase humidity? sponges? so you have the eggs upright in a carton in the incubator for 4-5 days and then you'll use the turner?
99.5 F right? I heard from someone that has it 70% of humdidity and then the last three days on lockdown 80% humidity...
yes I had them tracked too and have seen the eggs for two days or more in Denver and even that long in Casper.....weird!
Nothing no leads on the stolen chickens but I have a feeling that we'll see them next fair ....I'll make sure the police/sherriff is nearbye...
Thank you about helping me out next spring....let's swap I'll give you a bunch of Olive eggers and other breeds I'll hope to have by then..
I've been having trouble PM-ing people today, addiing subscriptions or actually do anything else on BYC even posting (I have to go to post preview and then I can submit otherwise it'll say please add message) wondering if it's me, my computer, BYC forum ....contacted the moderators no response s of yet...

Regarding the humidity question: I run two Brinsea Octogon incubators...a 20 and a 40...both have humidity pumps and are automatic. So I set the temp and humidity and it does all the work for me. I would assume you could just add sponges or add more surface area to whatever pool of water you use to have humidity in the first place. There is quite a challenge to hatching eggs that are layed at sea level or even lower elevations...it sure was a learning experience for me. I would love some Olive Eggers...I was planning on making some of my own with my FBCM over some EE hens. I also have a dark brahma roo and two light brahma girls I am thinking about getting some babies out of this year too. So sorry about the stolen chickens...it is just wrong!

Your gonna have to get Silkies!!! LOL I love them and they would be perfect for the elderly. They are so soft!!
I will be hatching a few and will see about getting some eggs or chicks to you guys!
Ayda

Back
Top Bottom