Y'all's prayers really worked overtime/Need a geeks help on game conso

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Hope there's a geek around to help me.
When I posted yesterday about my yucky night Sunday night, alot of y'all offered prayers and encouraging words. Boy did those prayers work! Just in a strange way.
I have been a little worried about how I was going to afford Christmas. I earn very little on my job and my social security pays for the must have bills. My SO said don't worry, I'll give you money to use for Christmas gifts, but it bothers me to take money from him to turn around and buy him a gift with. I want to buy his with my own money. Anyhow, I got a letter from social security yesterday. Apparently they've been underpaying me again!
ep.gif

They failed to consider the fact that although I draw social security I also work and pay back into the system. So in December they will be sending me an extra check to make up the difference!
wee.gif
Now I can buy the SO the gift I wanted to get him and adopt an angel off the angel tree...something I like to do, but can rarely afford.
Now to the geek question. I want to buy him a Playstation 2 because he loves playing aerial type/dog fighting games. The one he has he can no longer play because it only works on PCs that run windows 98. Yesterday I went ahead and bought a 3-pack of video games that the store had on sale. My question: Doesn't he need a joystick to play those types of games? It doesn't say anything on the game package about a joystick and I can't seem to find anyone that sells a joystick for PS2, even Sony. He has a plug and play joystick, from his old game, but it's for a PC.
Any help would be appreciated. The last time I played a video game that didn't involve a 'puter it had two paddles and a dot on the screen! (Pong)

You don't have to have the joystick, but there is one available made by Logitec that is compatable with the Playstation 2. Usually the games will say (somewhere on the package in tiny print) that you can use an alternate controller like a joystick.

Also, if you are able to, get him a wireless controller.
wink.png

If the 3 pack of video games you already bought are for the PS2 then the PS2
controllers will work fine. No joystick is needed.

What type of computer does he have? Age, model, memory, whatever you can tell me.

The only good dog fighting/flight simulator games are for the PC. Games made for
the PS2 or XBox are more like arcade games. So, if you are buying a PS2 for airplane
type games I would reconsider. The PS2 DOES have a ton of games of all types and
is a fine gaming system all around.

ah, Purple...are you a closet geek?
wink.png

The games I bought are for the PS2. Only one of them is a aerial combat kinda thingy. The other two are racing, one car racing, the other motorcycles.
Yes, I did plan on buying him a PS2 just so he could play dog fighting games. He's 51 years old for goodness sake! How many games does he need to be playing?
lau.gif

As for his computer, it's an oldie. It's a DELL laptop running Windows XP Pro. It's very old...like him...2002 model. The memory is only 512 MB. Processor speed = 1.20 GHz. The TERRIFIC game he talks about all the time will only work on Windows 98. As I said, he has a plug and play joystick for that game; just not the computer to play it on. I really can't see buying a used computer for that purpose, but I would love to find some awesome aerial combat games he could play with XP Pro.
Any advice/help you could give me towards that end would have me running thru the halls of this forum telling everyone about the awesome purple thing that has over 1000 posts!
wee.gif

And oh yeah, the old man is spoiled rotten. My friends tell me that all the time. He just didn't have much of a childhood, so I've made it my mission in life to give him a second childhood.

What's the name of the favorite flight simulator that only works on Windows 98? Will it just not install on the XP system? I know that you can right click on a program file icon in XP and tell it to run as an earlier version of Windows. Sometimes that helps, if you can get the game to install.

edited for grammar

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok don't tell anyone but I am a closet geek. The controllers that come with the PS2 will work with any PS2 or older playstation 1 games. Remember though that only Playstation or Logitech comtrollers work on most of the newer PS2s. Most of the time the generic cheaper controllers won't work.

Oh and buy him the slim PS2. You can get them used for a good price at game stores sometimes around $75 like Gamestop or EB Games.

Here are some links to some PS2 flight sim games. Most are fighter types.

http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?type=11&stype=all&tag=search;button&qs=ace+combat

Here's on of my favorites:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/secretweaponsovernormandy/index.html?tag=result;title;0

Jeremy

Back
Top Bottom