Ye Ole Recurring Bumblefoot

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
I have been fighting ongoing bumblefoot in my Orpington - it gets better, scab disappears, then weeks later, a limp, scab is back. Draw it out, try to dig it out, soak in epsom or hibecleans (sp), Vetricyn (sp), neosporin, gauze, vet wrap, etc., rinse repeat. Can never get a plug - always soft and squishy like the inside of a foot when I pull the scab off. I push and squeeze from every angle and nothing. Sometimes it bleeds a bunch (not enough to kill her, but enough that I can’t see what I’m doing and just put pressure on it / re-wrap).

Back at it again except this time I notice it smells like an infection. Like pus, even though there isn’t any, and her foot is a bit swollen and warm (also has a limp - the foot in question is on the left). I have just about every antibiotic except Cephalexin which gets here Wed. Anything else to give her that won’t have a reaction w the Cephalexin later in the week? Fish Mox?

Attachments

• E0958A32-F6DF-4207-98B0-AC8D40629687.jpeg
    E0958A32-F6DF-4207-98B0-AC8D40629687.jpeg
    466 KB · Views: 316
  • 11675AFB-67FC-4884-8B72-C422790551FD.jpeg
    11675AFB-67FC-4884-8B72-C422790551FD.jpeg
    488.9 KB · Views: 10
Sorry you're dealing with this. I think I'd go mad if I had a case of recurring bumblefoot...

I have two suggestions. First is to use the donut-shaped corn pads you can get at the pharmacy to put around the scab before you wrap it. It both keeps the pressure off the scab so it heals faster and will hopefully push any kernel of infection still in her foot towards the center so you can get it out.

Second thought is that she may just be reinjuring her foot, which happens more easily after all the soaking and skin-softening done to treat bumblefoot. I'd double check her environment for anything that could cause injury (splinters, gravel, etc) and maybe keep her feet wrapped for a bit even after it seems healed up.

I used to panic when I found BF on my girls, I've been very lucky as none has ever gotten "infected". I leave it alone, the scab eventually disappears & the foot pad is pink. My girls are confined & love to dig ... I remove rocks they dig up and keep a good layer of shavings down. I've also lowered my roosting bar AND keep the "lighter" breeds of chickens, although Orpingtons are my favorite breed.

However, even the lighter breeds can develop BF, the latest of my "flock" of 3 the heaviest one never developed BF while the 2 lighter ones have :idunno

Back
Top Bottom