Year old EE limping

ChickenMom04

Songster
Oct 17, 2020
My EE hen has been limping lately and holding her foot up when standing. I picked her up to check for bumblefoot but there’s no bumps or scabs. I did notice her toe seems to be crooked and could be broken.
0272BE7C-323F-4C5A-93DD-B6A20A1D3AC9.jpeg

12458101-C041-4E9C-8119-765B975C9F69.jpeg

As you can see there is a small bump over the joint, but I don’t think it’s related to bumblefoot. I’ve dealt with it before, and this isn’t the same. Other than her limping she’s acting normal and eating/drinking fine. Could her toe have broken and then fused back together the wrong way? I don’t want her to be in pain, but I don’t know how to fix this.

More than likely she has crooked toes from hatch, a common problem in chickens, and it usually is from humidity issues or genetics. She may have simply sprained her leg or foot, and that is why she is holding it up. Make sure that she cannget to food and water. As long as she is not being chased or running around, she may heal on her own in a week or two. You could either cage her in a dog crate at night, or lift her up and down off the roost, to make sure that she doesn’t hurt it more. If she is overly active, or being mated by a rooster, it might help her to limit her activity inside a dog crate with food and water.

Back
Top Bottom