Year old hens getting sick

AND_chicks

Hatching
Apr 19, 2023
I have had two 1-year-old hens get sick in the past few weeks. My biggest concern is identifying what is taking them down and trying to keep the rest of the flock from getting sick.
The first has already died and it was probably almost 2 weeks before the second appeared sick. The most notable symptom is lethargy and their combs were changing color (the first was very pale for several days, the second is just a little pale on the edges). I didn't take note of the poop of the first one, but have included a picture of the second. She slept in this spot last night. Her symptoms also showed up seemingly overnight.
PXL_20230419_121019441.jpg
PXL_20230419_121008293.jpg

I don't 100% know their breeds, they were a hatchery choice production pack- I think the first might have been a cream legbar and the second looks like an ISA brown.
I am fairly hands-off with my chickens, so I won't be bringing the hen in the house or to a vet, but I would like to prevent further spreading.

Is it spring where you are? Has it been wet? Do these chickens free range? Do they scratch in a compost pile?

Two things can cause these symptoms, barring a serious avian virus such as avian influenza. One is an anaerobic bacteria found at the bottom of compost piles. This would require getting these sick hens on an oral antibiotic immediately.

The other pathogen associated with spring and warming damp weather is coccisiosis. It's very common. Depending where you are in the world, you will need to find a coccidiostat to put into their water to treat this.

Is it spring where you are? Has it been wet? Do these chickens free range? Do they scratch in a compost pile?

Two things can cause these symptoms, barring a serious avian virus such as avian influenza. One is an anaerobic bacteria found at the bottom of compost piles. This would require getting these sick hens on an oral antibiotic immediately.

The other pathogen associated with spring and warming damp weather is coccisiosis. It's very common. Depending where you are in the world, you will need to find a coccidiostat to put into their water to treat this.
Yes, it is finally spring here in Minnesota. They've been free ranging for a little over a week (the first was sick before that). We had a huge snow pack that just melted last week, so everything is wet. And They do have access to a compost pile.
Thank you for your reply! I'll look into getting the coccidiostat.

To cover both possibilities, it would be wise to also treat with an antibiotic in case they've picked up bacteria from the compost pile. I've had to treat two sick hens who had been digging for worms in my horse manure compost.

A left over human prescription can work or inquire at your feed store for fish amoxicillin when buying Corid. Get the liquid Corid and give an undiluted drench dose to the sick chickens at .1ml per pound of weight once a day for three days in addition to the Corid water.

Treat all sick chickens with an antibiotic. As

Back
Top Bottom