My coop project.

HerdAndHome

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2024
Much like there's no such thing as a free puppy, it's the same for a chicken coop. I am mighty grateful to have it though for sure. These folks lost their hens to predators so they finally gave up on keeping them after 10 years. Broken hearted, they just abandoned it as it was when the last chicken was taken 1.5 years ago. I'm in the process of cleaning it up, modifying it some and then painting it to more easily keep it clean.
My question is: I'd like to add a couple more nesting boxes or use the storage bin in some useful way inside the coop. They had this coop out in the woods, so they needed that storage. I'm 20 feet from my house, so I have no need for the bin. I wonder is it too low on the ground to turn into nesting boxes? or something useful like that? Any suggestions?
Roosting bars are the right height, properly spaced to the right of the nesting boxes and in proximity to the windows. There are 3 nesting boxes already. I plan to have 6 hens only.

Attachments

• 20240503_124642.jpg
    20240503_124642.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240503_124415.jpg
    20240503_124415.jpg
    792.4 KB · Views: 9
Much like there's no such thing as a free puppy, it's the same for a chicken coop. I am mighty grateful to have it though for sure. These folks lost their hens to predators so they finally gave up on keeping them after 10 years. Broken hearted, they just abandoned it as it was when the last chicken was taken 1.5 years ago. I'm in the process of cleaning it up, modifying it some and then painting it to more easily keep it clean.
My question is: I'd like to add a couple more nesting boxes or use the storage bin in some useful way inside the coop. They had this coop out in the woods, so they needed that storage. I'm 20 feet from my house, so I have no need for the bin. I wonder is it too low on the ground to turn into nesting boxes? or something useful like that? Any suggestions?
Roosting bars are the right height, properly spaced to the right of the nesting boxes and in proximity to the windows. There are 3 nesting boxes already. I plan to have 6 hens only.

You only need one nesting box for every 4 hens, so it's not necessary to add more. If you still want to though, by or on the ground is not at all too low to add them. Some people like them higher, but mine are built right on the ground and they're fine.

It's gonna be so cute though! Good luck with your project! ❤️

3 nest boxes is plenty for 6 hens.

My coop is only about 25' from the house and I still find it useful to store stuff inside or closer to the coop, so I'd just use it as storage. Or maybe it could be converted to a brooder if you decide to add a few chicks to the flock down the line. Good to have the option either way!

Back
Top Bottom