Year's first wild dinner for the girls this morning...

Ken H

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Had very heavy rains last light(Michigan) .Ground was saturated and not draining as fast as the rain fell. The result this morning when I let the girls loose was there were hundreds of worms and night crawlers out along with a delight the hens just discovered, crayfish. My girls must have eaten a couple of dozen. They got so full that a dangled worm drew no interest. Anyone else got crayfish eating chickens?

No crayfish... But yes to the worms!..And just about everything else the little Trex can get down..
big_smile.png

on

Hmmm...wonder what kind of influence that will have on the eggs' flavor???? My girls are jealous that your girls get crawdads (as we call them...lol). They only gets worms when it rains...

While slighty different a friend of mine. His father has layers. One one occasion they supplimented the calicum component with lobester shells. Apparently it made the yoeks a reddish orange color. I'm looking forward to trying it myself. When I do I'll post pics.

He didn;t comment on impact on taste as there wasn't much residual protein content left on the shells.

Sadly no crayfish, but a few weeks ago the chickens were freeranging for the first time without snow. While I was cleaning up the winter mess, they followed me all morning eating bugs and worms as I raked up old leaves and woodchips. By the afternoon they were fast asleep in the coop. So funny,

Back
Top Bottom