Yellow Green and mucus looking poop

fatimahb89

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2022
Is this a cause for concern? I saw this today. One in from the run and the other from under her roost. What do you think? What can I do to help her?
Blue copper maran
IMG_1603.JPG IMG_1602.JPG
18 months old

Last laid egg 12-14-23

Was laying every other day.

Red comb, no lice no mites
regular activity

That often indicates reproductive infection. Is this hen lethargic, not eating, not joining in flock activities? Do you have an antibiotic on hand?

As long as she's acting normally, this is not something to worry about right now. But you need to monitor her closely.

Check her overnight poop each morning. If it continues to be yellow and mucousy every single day, it's concerning. Monitor her food and water intake. If she appears to be losing interest in eating, this is concerning. And if she starts to lose interest in flock activities, then you will know she needs treatment.

It would help to know your location to advise you on medication.

As long as she's acting normally, this is not something to worry about right now. But you need to monitor her closely.

Check her overnight poop each morning. If it continues to be yellow and mucousy every single day, it's concerning. Monitor her food and water intake. If she appears to be losing interest in eating, this is concerning. And if she starts to lose interest in flock activities, then you will know she needs treatment.

It would help to know your location to advise you on medication.
Thank you so much for your reply. I will keep an eye on her and her poop. We are near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Please let me know of a general antibiotic that I could buy and use in case it's needed. I would like to have it before I need it. Also the recommended dosing. She is about 4 lbs.

This is what you want to ask for. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/ You can order it at that site or call around to TSC or pet supply stores and ask for something similar. The dosage is approximately 250mg every twelve hours for ten days. I give one capsule directly into the beak. I always keep it on hand in case a chicken gets sick. Having it saves a lot of time that could be spent getting started treating.

This is what you want to ask for. https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/ You can order it at that site or call around to TSC or pet supply stores and ask for something similar. The dosage is approximately 250mg every twelve hours for ten days. I give one capsule directly into the beak. I always keep it on hand in case a chicken gets sick. Having it saves a lot of time that could be spent getting started treating.
Thank you! Great advice!

Thank you! Great advice!
So this morning is not looking good. Poop under the roost looks similar to yesterday's. She is not eating or drinking and is isolated from the others.
I'm thinking to soak her in Epsom salt bath 15 minutes to see if that helps. I'm online trying to get aqua mox asap. Do you think I should give her dewormer as well? I gave all of them Valbazen dewormer the beginning of October.

Can't get any antibiotics without a persciprion. I'll need to wait until Tuesday to call my feed store to see what that might have over the counter. I have an older persciprion bag of

Oxytetracyline power​

this was prescribed to one of my older hens two years ago. It said it expired in October. However, I mixed it up according to the directions and will isolate her today.

That often indicates reproductive infection. Is this hen lethargic, not eating, not joining in flock activities? Do you have an antibiotic on hand?
I'm dealing with this also! Poops don't look this bad but the behavior is dead on. I have soaked her 2x given calcium. I have some old human antibiotics in the house can i use them or should I order the one linked?

Attachments

• D39DEDA2-B388-4A4C-B1A8-F67F5BC9CF44.png
    D39DEDA2-B388-4A4C-B1A8-F67F5BC9CF44.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom