Yellow quails with tiny black spot on head and back?

nicoleandeliceo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 25, 2014
One more question from a newbie. I have 3 jumbo japanese quails. I think they also call them coturnix. They are the regular brownish color. Out of the 23 hatches I've had I have gotten 6 yellow ones. The oldest one (2 weeks) is growing white feathers. All of these yellow ones have a little black spot on the top of their head, and some of them have a tiny black spot on their back. Here is a pic of one of their heads.

A local here (I live in Yucatan, Mexico) told me it was a genetic defect, and it's a bad thing. I've read online that this has happened to others and they have died in the first weeks. When I noticed the brown chicks curiosity about the yellow chicks ear holes and black spot d I trimmed their beaks and left the yellow chicks intact for self defense. They seem to be getting along just fine.

I've also read online of other varieties that look like this. A&M or Texan?

Can anyone identify these? Have you had ones like these hatch from the brown variety and grow to full healthy size? Just wondering...

Thanks so much! :)

One more question from a newbie. I have 3 jumbo japanese quails. I think they also call them coturnix. They are the regular brownish color. Out of the 23 hatches I've had I have gotten 6 yellow ones. The oldest one (2 weeks) is growing white feathers. All of these yellow ones have a little black spot on the top of their head, and some of them have a tiny black spot on their back. Here is a pic of one of their heads.

A local here (I live in Yucatan, Mexico) told me it was a genetic defect, and it's a bad thing. I've read online that this has happened to others and they have died in the first weeks. When I noticed the brown chicks curiosity about the yellow chicks ear holes and black spot d I trimmed their beaks and left the yellow chicks intact for self defense. They seem to be getting along just fine.

I've also read online of other varieties that look like this. A&M or Texan?

Can anyone identify these? Have you had ones like these hatch from the brown variety and grow to full healthy size? Just wondering...

Thanks so much! :)
It is just a normal white coturnix. Also called by many texas A&M. Call them whatever you want but they are just normal japanese quail. Pharaoh or brown quail can carry the white gene recessive and then when bred to another bird with the same gene will produce a percentage of white offspring. It is common.

Oh good. That is what I was hoping to hear. I'm glad they are "normal" and not "defective" in some way.

Welcome to the Quail forum on BYC. I tend to think of this place as a support group for those who can't stop breeding quail. Here is a link you should check out. It has lots of info for new quail owners. Beware. Raising quail is addictive.
James

I have three like this out of 13. It's five weeks old today an weighs 8 ounces! Is it Texas A&M or a mix? I have two types of browns one of which is jittery. I'd like to know better what it is.

Last edited:
Yes they are A&M's the bottom bird looks like rosetta tuxedo, but its a variety I'm not completely familiar with.

Someone that is will confirm.

here are a few of my quail babies born over the last couple of days, simple courtnix eggs bought online. anyone able to identify the wee toots? are the 2 yellows with spots the same? one has far darker and more spots than the other as you can see. same with dark stripy dudes one is darker than the other x

Back
Top Bottom