Yep. It's spring, all right.

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

Love Comes with Feathers
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
California
Whenever I went in a certain part of my yard, a pair of black-eyes Juncos always tittered and squawked at me. I suspected they had a nest somewhere. I know they normally build close to or on the ground, so I searched all over the ground in that area. I hoped the chickens wouldn't step on it by accident.

Then today I noticed one of the Juncos coming out of a certain bush. So I went to investigate, and here's what I found:
DSC_0036_2.jpg

Proud parents were not amused to see me with a camera near their offspring.
DSC_0037_2.jpg

I just checked on them quickly after I locked up my chickens. Mama's sitting on them. Good. She gave me the stink eye. I officially love this bird
roll.png

thumbsup.gif
I've had a couple Junco's in the yard a lot lately too; I should start paying attention to where they are going to from the feeders.

Quote:
I see the parents bringing a lot of wiggling caterpillars to their young ones, but I just see them eating the seeds for themselves. Maybe they regurgitate them...

Quote:
I see the parents bringing a lot of wiggling caterpillars to their young ones, but I just see them eating the seeds for themselves. Maybe they regurgitate them...

I didn't mean that I thought they were bringing seed to the young, but simply returning to their nest. Although maybe they feed seed to them, I have no idea.

wee.gif
< That's me running from the wasps. I'm smiling because I have my can of wasp spray. Spring has sprung and now so is my ankle!

Yep. Spring is here. I have an 'abandoned' (so we thought) wild bird egg in

my incubator, and many nests in the trees. Last year I got stung right below the eye

by a hornet. I HATE the flying death packages.
hmm.png
The only bees I like are the cute fat

lil bumble bees
tongue.png
I always play chase with them LOL.

I have two birds nest that I am currently watching. There's Mama Wren in the door of my brahma coop. Feel totally ridiculous knocking on the door of my coop to give mama time to fly up into the rafters before I open the door. She's so used to the routine now that sometimes she doesn't bother to fly off the nest.

The other nest belongs to Mama Swallow. She's in the rafter of the carport. Third or fourth year in a row she's had a nest there. I assume it's the same bird. Currently on black snake watch, as one ate all her chicks last year.
sad.png

We had our springtime here already. Lasted about two weeks. It's summertime now, judging by the 90 degree temps.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom