Yes! Another Temperature in the Incubator Question!

tiffanyh

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Connecticut
Okay, sorry to do this to you all again, but I need a bit of advice.
My homemade incubator is hosting 11 eggs right now. I have two thermometers in there-one a digital that reads humidity also. Anyway, I can NOT get the tem to regulate from day to night. At night it is 95ish and in the day it is 100ish. I have tried to adjust it to stay warmer at night but then it spikes during the day hours. It is getting warmer up here in CT. At one point it said 105 on the digital!!!--although the "old fashion read 100ish add the eggs were not overly warm to the touch. It was only like that for a few moments as I had been checking it every 1/2 to 1 hour and it had been low a short time earlier.

My questions--> Do you think this is harmful to the eggs? Will I slow down development? Was the short spike detrimental? I am candling but only on day 4 today so Im not great at checking development yet! Im being a worried mom and driving my husband crazy so I thought I see what you all said since your advice has been great in the past!!

Thanks!
smile.png

Last edited:
I wouldnt worry to much about the spike!
At night wrap your Bator in a towel or blanket, that will help keep heat.
Remember let the bator do the job, dont mess with it during the hatch.
Hope this helps

PLease--has anyone had some temp fluxuation between 95 and 105 (it got up to 105 for a short period, maybe 20 minutes, but it may have been the therm, since my "old fashion" therm read 102) and still had a successful hatch. I at staying on the lower side, around 98 because it is a temp I can get the incubator to stay at and I figure lower temp is safer that higher and consistency it temp is important??

Have you guys have any experience with this?
fl.gif

Last edited:
Tiff,
My temp swings were unbelievable,,,95 to 115!
I hatched 6 of 14 in the last two days and waiting on maybe more. Your homemade bator is made from what material??...that can really contribute to temp swings, glass is terrible. Maybe you need to check into a different thermostat. I got a really reliable wafer from the co-op..6 bucks...no more temp swings, right on +/- one degree every time I check. Since you are already into this set now, ride it out as best you can, but next time around, think about a good insulating material, and a reliable thermostat, and maybe even a circulating fan.
Good luck, -Spence

Thanks for the word of encouragement! Actually I have 3 viables at 10 days, only 6 on the 12 I had seemed to "move forward" at all. I have a styrafoam homeade one....I just kepe a close eye on them and my fingers croseed, but despite the lower temps (I have been keeping the a nit lower at the sake of it getting too hot) they seem on track for development.

Thanks agAin!

Back
Top Bottom