Yet another duck question...sorry everyone.

1stepcloser

Poultry In Motion
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
Dover, TN
Marty refuses to sleep with the chickens in the coop. He actually banged up his nose trying to escape although no one was chasing him.
roll.png
My alpha hen, Frieda Caldo, hates him so I am sure it has something to do with that but I digress. He has been sleeping in the coop in the dirt for the last week. I have straw down but honestly, it has been raining and the straw just gets muddy. I keep throwing layers down to give everyone something to walk on....

Here is my question: do I *force* him in with the chickens? Do I let him sleep in the coop? Should I put a small dog house or something like that for him to sleep in inside the coop? Do I let him do what he really wants...and that is to sleep outside of our back door in a box of straw? (lol)

I am stressing about it because the temp is supposed to drop to 39 degrees. I don't want Marty to freeze.
hmm.png
(Can you tell I am completely out of my league when it comes to this duck? He is totally spoiled too...I love him to death!)

My ducks are happier sleeping outside. They had a shelter for the first year I had them, and NEVER slept in it. So I am now using it elsewhere and they have been fine. Maybe he would like a buddy to snuggle with?

My ducks have the choice between a large dog house, a home made duck house (both with straw bedding) and the open air. They 'use' all three, and it's hard to predict why or when. They'll all stay outside in the pouring rain and go inside on a nice moderate dry night. Last year, once the ducks started laying, they spent more time inside though. I do know that wherever one goes - they all go.
lol.png

I am hoping to have their pen partially covered in the next few weeks, to give them the option of being dry when they are out.

Though back to the extended family of chickens. My first lone duck (raised by a hen) was eventually mercilessly tormented by the chickens and I was desperate to find her some of her own kind. She was soooo much happier with other ducks (though would still want to hang out with the evil chickens at times). The ducks ended up in a pen next to the chickens with a small duck house and everyone seemed more content. The ducks (unless they are the small variety) don't need fencing as high as the chickens so it was relatively easy to put something together.

Quote:
He isn't likely to freeze to death unless you live in the artic He came equipped with a rain proof coat and a down jacket under that which is better than anything you can buy in a store. They suffer more in the heat than in the cold. If the box has walls high enough to protect him from the wind he will be fine. If you can live with a drake under foot along with the poop it sounds like a win-win except he has no real protection from varmits. good luck!

Back
Top Bottom