Yet Another worming question....

Would rather eat a Balut egg than a worm egg
Have a friend who worked in Hongkong for extended periods.. Stories I heard, whole chick in eggs.. likely black eggs too.. he had to eat what ever was set in front of him.. or host would loose face.. got to give him credit, but it paid well. Came with furniture fringe benefit too.. Soylent Green furnishing, if you get my drift. Hope she was cute.

Thank you for the link.
That actually sounds reasonable. With my husbands help we could probably knock it out this Saturday morning.... we use this method when separating them for sale bc a buyer is coming over.
Give your birds 1/2ml with a syringe, no needle. Have your husband hold the bird for you.
Grab your preloaded syringe, then pull down on the wattles and the hens mouth will open. Shoot the wormer in the hens mouth and quickly release the wattles. You're done, next bird please. :)

Practice it a couple times on a hen without actually worming her. You'll get the hang of it real quick, easy to do.

Just wanted to say, I do the same as @dawg53 and do over 2 dozen birds every 3-4 months. It gets quicker with practice. I don't find it to be that hard to do (and I do it by myself), and I know every bird got it's dose. Also gives me a chance to give every bird a quick look over to do a general health check. My birds know what's going on at this point, and most of them cooperate since it happens regularly. A couple freak out at being handled, those ones get wrapped in a towel to help hold wings in, if needed.

Have a friend who worked in Hongkong for extended periods.. Stories I heard, whole chick in eggs.. likely black eggs too.. he had to eat what ever was set in front of him.. or host would loose face.. got to give him credit, but it paid well. Came with furniture fringe benefit too.. Soylent Green furnishing, if you get my drift. Hope she was cute.
I was in the Navy for 22 years. I could tell you some stories about Chief's initiation. There are worse things that can be eaten, trust me. (I wont go there, only a fellow Chief would know). LOL.

Give your birds 1/2ml with a syringe, no needle. Have your husband hold the bird for you.
Grab your preloaded syringe, then pull down on the wattles and the hens mouth will open. Shoot the wormer in the hens mouth and quickly release the wattles. You're done, next bird please. :)

Practice it a couple times on a hen without actually worming her. You'll get the hang of it real quick, easy to do.
Ok, will do. I appreciate the advice.... I don’t google anymore!

Lol 😂

So I noticed a very small roundworm in one of my leghorns poo and decided to worm my whole flock. We’re using liquid goat dewormer (safeguard), and decided the easiest way to do our flock of 23 by mixing the safeguard with water and mixing it into their food; we give them this in the evening (I take their free choice food away at 2pm so they are hungry and eat the medicated food). I have noticed them pooping out the worms when I check in the mornings so I’m assuming it’s working?
Has anyone else used this method successfully? We just simply cannot dose each bird individually for 5 days in a row and I don’t understand how people with large flocks do this and I’m wondering why I’ve never heard of this method after 4 years on BYC?Everyone seemed fine and I had no indication that anyone had worms until the one pooped it out right in front of me.
Try WORMER DELUXE POWDER at Jedds bird supply https://www.jedds.com/

So I noticed a very small roundworm in one of my leghorns poo and decided to worm my whole flock. We’re using liquid goat dewormer (safeguard), and decided the easiest way to do our flock of 23 by mixing the safeguard with water and mixing it into their food; we give them this in the evening (I take their free choice food away at 2pm so they are hungry and eat the medicated food). I have noticed them pooping out the worms when I check in the mornings so I’m assuming it’s working?
Has anyone else used this method successfully? We just simply cannot dose each bird individually for 5 days in a row and I don’t understand how people with large flocks do this and I’m wondering why I’ve never heard of this method after 4 years on BYC?Everyone seemed fine and I had no indication that anyone had worms until the one pooped it out right in front of me.
Thanks for this post! I’m looking to use liquid Safeguard on my flock (about the same size as yours). I found a graphic somewhere that said to mix a cup of water and 1 ounce of Safeguard in with 15-20 lbs of food and feed it exclusively until it’s all gone. What ratios/amounts did you use?

I’d love to use Valbazen, but we can’t get it in California :( . My biggest fear is if anyone is really infested I’ll kill all the worms at once and end up killing my girls, so I think I might cut the dose in half this first time around even if it means only getting rid of some of the worms.

Thanks for this post! I’m looking to use liquid Safeguard on my flock (about the same size as yours). I found a graphic somewhere that said to mix a cup of water and 1 ounce of Safeguard in with 15-20 lbs of food and feed it exclusively until it’s all gone. What ratios/amounts did you use?

I’d love to use Valbazen, but we can’t get it in California :( . My biggest fear is if anyone is really infested I’ll kill all the worms at once and end up killing my girls, so I think I might cut the dose in half this first time around even if it means only getting rid of some of the worms.
I will ask my husband when he comes home; he literally only used one milliliter of the actual medicine, then mixed that with water which he then mixed with 2 cups of food..... we were worming 24 chickens at the time.

If you must mix it in the feed, this thread has instructions on how to do that.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/safeguard-mash-zero-day-egg-withdrawal.1254653/
It is much better to dose each bird orally by weight, that way you know they each got the appropriate dose. Under dosing can lead to resistant parasites. Safeguard and Valbazen are both in the same class of wormers, they both kill slowly, so it's just as safe. Valbazen requires a smaller dose amount than Safeguard, so is a bit easier to administer, otherwise, they both are very similar.

Back
Top Bottom