YIKES! What to do with a mean chicken? I have a terrorist Buff Cochin.

Recently, some hens were picking on my EE, so I turned the water hose on them. Didn't get them *real* wet; just enough so that their attention was averted to shaking and preening for a while. I stayed close and, sure enough, once cleaned up, they started bullying again. So, I let them have it again, especially the head bully. That did the trick. Now everything is peaceful at the 7 Biddies B&B.

Recently, some hens were picking on my EE, so I turned the water hose on them. Didn't get them *real* wet; just enough so that their attention was averted to shaking and preening for a while. I stayed close and, sure enough, once cleaned up, they started bullying again. So, I let them have it again, especially the head bully. That did the trick. Now everything is peaceful at the 7 Biddies B&B.

That squirting really does the trick. Now when they see the bottle they run at warp speed away.

With that you would get them to stand at attention and salute!

I sure got the attention of one of the squirrels. In what was a once-in-a-lifetime shot, I grabbed the super soaker, pumped that sucker up, aimed, and fired, just as the offending rodent "turned tail" and ran. I ended up giving the poor little guy an enema!! Couldn't do it again if I had a million bucks riding on it. In fact, it shocked me as much as it shocked him.
ep.gif

That's one squirrel that never raided my bird feeder again.

Last edited:
OK, this is a really dumb question. If a rooster is caponized will he stop crowing? I have this Buff and now a Lavender Ameraucana that I just hatched that may be a roo. It is the sweetest bird ever. If they crow there is no way I can keep them in the city. Thanks for your help.
From reading threads here, I have found out that crowing may stop, maybe it depends on age.? Why not put a new thread in behaviour area and ask the question because there are definately members who do it so they will know more. I would be interested as well. I am about to speak to VET number 4 & will ask these questions as well but it is far more common in USA.

Thanks for your response..I am having the same problem with my favorite red sex link bullying my newest chicks. They are all hens but she is a terror to all of them..biting them and not letting go..and one of the newbies is a new jersey giant..twice her size..no problem for Star she figures the bigger they are the harder they fall I guess. I will try smacking her off them..thanks again

Thanks for your response..I am having the same problem with my favorite red sex link bullying my newest chicks. They are all hens but she is a terror to all of them..biting them and not letting go..and one of the newbies is a new jersey giant..twice her size..no problem for Star she figures the bigger they are the harder they fall I guess. I will try smacking her off them..thanks again

The squirt bottle, if you have the time, works wonders. I bought one at Lowes that has a great long stream that reaches 10 ft. She runs away...so funny.

If they have already started crowing there is less of a chance they will stop. If they havn't yet they have a better chance of not crowing because they no longer have as strong male hormones and have not learned they can crow.

Back
Top Bottom