YO GEORGIANS! :)

LOL! I hear ya. My friend who I've been helping has learned it quickly as well. She went from "maybe four" last Friday, to having eleven (?) last night with a new "max of twenty"..

lau.gif
Well thanks, I feel normal compared to your friend! She went from 4 to 11 and soon 20 that quick? LOL.

You are a very very bad influence!

You don't want to spend a bunch of money and a lot of time/effort building runs and STILL have to worry that predators could easily break in.

Might want to think about them being connected (like a row of kennel runs for dogs) then use stronger welded wire for the perimeter to keep predators out while using chicken wire for separating the individual runs.

I spent way too much making mistakes on my chicken run so I hate to see others do the same.

Might be worth considering that just for the pens then. My large fowl probably couldn't get out of 1x2" welded wire, so I could just go right with that for the exterior on their pens. That would just leave me worrying about the bantams.

Well, we put up 300 feet of fencing to try to maintain our chickens to the back of the house so we can grow grass, flowers, and bushes again! Today was their first day. So, DH and I had a pot full of 'treats' for them and we open the new door. At first I didn't think they would find it, but then they all ran out, got their treats and ran up into the woods (were the fence runs). Scratch, scratch, jump back and look........ok, they look ok. So we got back inside. About 10 minutes later I look out to see how they are doing and 3 have already jumped over the 4 foot fence. I was told by a friend of mine who keeps hers behind a 4 foot fence, that they get too heavy to jump over. Well, my poor almost naked-from-molting chicken had gone over! Ugh! So, now that it has been 3 hours, all the chickens are back in the coop and crying around the front door (their usual exit) because they want to eat whatevers left of my flowers! I wonder how long it will take for them to get use to their new area before they stop wining! LOL! I think I will be buying lots of cabbage heads to keep them happy!

Aww lol bless them. Yeah, I think most all of mine could jump a 4' fence. Can you go taller? I don't think you'd ever keep them all in short of putting a roof.. What about stringing it?

I'm 100% positive that there will be many tears when it's time for Odyssey to go, but what a perfect name for her, and what a fantastic job she'll have! I am actually considering becoming a puppy raiser too. That puppy would be bomb -proof around other animals ;)!

Haha

Ok, Good Morning everyone!

The weather is supposed to be rainy for two days after today, so enjoy what promises to be a beautiful day :). I'm getting my zoo chores done, then it's off to meet Odyssey :ya

A road trip with my girls and a puppy; should be awesome ;)

Oh, and then I'm off to the farm to hang out with my critters for some bonding time.

Bonding time :lau

LOL! I hear ya. My friend who I've been helping has learned it quickly as well. She went from "maybe four" last Friday, to having eleven (?) last night with a new "max of twenty"..

:lau

You make it sound like its a bad thing
1f602.png

Well, we put up 300 feet of fencing to try to maintain our chickens to the back of the house so we can grow grass, flowers, and bushes again!  Today was their first day.  So, DH and I had a pot full of 'treats' for them and we open the new door.  At first I didn't think they would find it, but then they all ran out, got their treats and ran up into the woods (were the fence runs).  Scratch, scratch, jump back and look........ok, they look ok.  So we got back inside.  About 10 minutes later I look out to see how they are doing and 3 have already jumped over the 4 foot fence.  I was told by a friend of mine who keeps hers behind a 4 foot fence, that they get too heavy to jump over.  Well, my poor almost naked-from-molting chicken had gone over!  Ugh!  So, now that it has been 3 hours, all the chickens are back in the coop and crying around the front door (their usual exit) because they want to eat whatevers left of my flowers!  I wonder how long it will take for them to get use to their new area before they stop wining!  LOL!  I think I will be buying lots of cabbage heads to keep them happy!
We tried a 6 ft wire fence and they got out. We were trying to keep them from pooping on the porch and in the garage but that didn't work. We now have a 5ft 4 board fence around the whole house and Cinnamon still jumps it but at least it's only 1
1f602.png

Might be worth considering that just for the pens then. My large fowl probably couldn't get out of 1x2" welded wire, so I could just go right with that for the exterior on their pens. That would just leave me worrying about the bantams.

I spent a fair amount on a new electric poultry fence with all the incidentals. After I got the tiny RBB OEG Bantam I realized it was worthless (never even powered it up, forgetta about avian netting on that stuff). Last week I had 2 x 4 inch six foot tall welded wire fence installed by my lawnman. I was sweating it thinking "If that little bantam walks through that wire I will cry, this is getting too expensive!".

She didn't, she tried but couldn't fit. 2" x 4" is too small for her to get out of (and she is a very petite 7 month old). Doesn't mean a coon couldn't reach in and rip their heads off, or a dog come up and bite their heads off if they stuck their head outside of the fence, but for a daytime run it is good. It is strong enough to last, I had a good deal on 6' tall chicken wire but I knew that it wouldn't last very long as an exterior guard.

At night the chicken door is closed. They also have avian netting.

Last edited:
Quote:
The one was successful and it appears we have a new little girl. The other two never pipped so we got 1 bird out of the 5 eggs.

Unfortunately, the little girl gosling I picked up Monday died suddenly. No apparent symptoms, just on her back and then dead a few minutes later. Her brother is still doing ok though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom