YO GEORGIANS! :)

The kids found 3 eggs in the shed coop today! 2 yesterday! But a few days before nothing... I am not sure if the kids are just finding older eggs or if more of the pullets are laying than just one. One thing is for certain, nothing is laying eggs in the bin/nesting boxes we made for them! Soooo now we need to make something else for them to lay in! Golf balls are not working!
I fought this battle with my hens. From my experience they lay in the darkest most secure place they can find. For me that meant building boxes and putting up curtains.

This did not work at all and they were laying in the dirt in the run and in the darkest corner of the coop.

I then had to change my configuration to this.

They are now laying in all the boxes except the middle one. Everything I read said it came down to creating a very dark private area. When the chicken is laying its red Cloaca (butt hole) is exposed and if other chickens see it they will peck at it as they think it is food. Good luck!

hey everyone.. its been awhile since we've been on. due to my health we are having to get rid of our chickens i cant be around them anymore. we have rir, slw, glw, polish, f blue n black copper marans, ees, n silkies $5 each.it breacs my heart having to get rid of all that ive raised. we are in haralson county.

I fought this battle with my hens. From my experience they lay in the darkest most secure place they can find. For me that meant building boxes and putting up curtains.

This did not work at all and they were laying in the dirt in the run and in the darkest corner of the coop.

I then had to change my configuration to this.

They are now laying in all the boxes except the middle one. Everything I read said it came down to creating a very dark private area. When the chicken is laying its red Cloaca (butt hole) is exposed and if other chickens see it they will peck at it as they think it is food. Good luck!

They also like the nest to be high. I think your nest are too low to the grown! My nest are all about 3-4 feet off the ground with a ramp and shelf. There is also a board across the front of the nest to prevent eggs from rolling out of them. Will get photos today. I think that is your biggest issue.

hey everyone.. its been awhile since we've been on. due to my health we are having to get rid of our chickens i cant be around them anymore. we have rir, slw, glw, polish, f blue n black copper marans, ees, n silkies $5 each.it breacs my heart having to get rid of all that ive raised. we are in haralson county.
Hey Becky! Been missing you. I thought about you guys often! I hate that you are having to get rid of your chickens! I know how much you have enjoyed them. I also know a lot about your health issues and hope you are taking it easy. I know it must be frustrating for you to have such issues at such a young age! I will be sending prays your way!

What kind of Polish chickens are they? Do you have any Silver Laced Polish? How old are they?

They also like the nest to be high. I think your nest are too low to the grown! My nest are all about 3-4 feet off the ground with a ramp and shelf. There is also a board across the front of the nest to prevent eggs from rolling out of them. Will get photos today. I think that is your biggest issue.

hahaha. Just reread that....it is suppose to be "to the ground!"

Back
Top Bottom