YO GEORGIANS! :)

So it turns out that the broody Sumatra is only HALF of a good mommy. She never attacked her own babies. She walks around puffed up ALL THE TIME. But the other hens in the pen (not even the rooster, but the hens) attacked them, and she didn't DEFEND her babies. I went outside yesterday to find one with a small wound on it's back, and another with a bloody head, and all of the down missing from his scalp. THANKFULLY (unlike the phoenix rooster I lost) his actual scalp is still intact. So I buttered him up with vaseline, and put him in the brooder with other chicks. Then I moved the mommy and babies to a small pen by themselves. They're going to outgrow it VERY fast, but at least they can stay there for now.

In the meantime, two more eggs hatched today. One is a black (maybe even charcoal) bantam cochin, and the other is a solid blue bantam cochin. BOTH of them have a chance of being frizzle, but I won't know that until at least day 3.

Greenfire farms sells Ayam Cemani chicks for $4999.00 for a juvenile pair!! I don't know if they sell many, but that price just seems ridiculous. I thought $100.00 for rare breed chick was expensive!! :eek:
they do spend a lot of money shipping birds from overseas, they usually have the breed for a few years, their one of the few who have them, so they can sell them high to help repay import costs. But when the first people who buy them start hatching/selling they get good money for them, but as more people start flooding the market, the prices go down. Then they import a new breed/ color, and so on. It was the Swedish flower hens before the Cemani.

Last edited:
they do spend a lot of money shipping birds from overseas, they usually have the breed for a few years, their one of the few who have them, so they can sell them high to help repay import costs. But when the first people who buy them start hatching/selling they get good money for them, but as more people start flooding the market, the prices go down. Then they import a new breed/ color, and so on. It was the Swedish flower hens before the Cemani.
I guess I will wait for the market to become flooded!!
pop.gif
Maybe if they laid 24 carat gold eggs I could understand it.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom