YO GEORGIANS! :)

My Cochin has hatched all her eggs but has not taken the baby's to food yet. Sat will be 3days since the last one hatched should I move her and the baby's to the ground or put food and water in there box for them?

I kept food and water right beside my broody in the last week before hatch. The babies would sneak out for a snack and run back under. So yes, I think that would be great. Congrats and post pics when they come out!

I'm soooooooo excited!!!!!!! After 27 weeks and one day and all the drama raising them. Out of my six girls, I got the first three eggs yesterday!!!!!! :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate SO worth it!!!!!!!!!

My Cochin has hatched all her eggs but has not taken the baby's to food yet. Sat will be 3days since the last one hatched should I move her and the baby's to the ground or put food and water in there box for them?

Either one, but you should provide food and water soon! If the chicks are too high up, the mom may not be sure how to get the chicks up and down to food. The chicks are still too small to venture far. (You wouldn't expect a newborn human to go to the refrigerator!) hahahha! My broodies do a good job at protecting the chicks from other adults. In fact, I have a dilemma because my two broodies and their chicks have basically taken over the coop and I am not getting many eggs because the broodies run the other hens out of the coop and they can't get to the nest box! Yea, send photos!

ok Fodder Fans, all my trays have mold in them! What am I doing wrong? And, what can I do with the molding sprouting seeds? Can I plant them in dirt and then cut the tops off after they sprout so I don't waste the seeds? Just throw them away? And I am still looking for a Barley supplies in North GA. Any ideas?

ok Fodder Fans, all my trays have mold in them! What am I doing wrong? And, what can I do with the molding sprouting seeds? Can I plant them in dirt and then cut the tops off after they sprout so I don't waste the seeds? Just throw them away? And I am still looking for a Barley supplies in North GA. Any ideas?
I've heard people recommend misting with a weak solution of hydrogen peroxide and water whenever they get dry. The HP kills the mold and it won't hurt the plants or the chickens.

Wow, went out to close up the coop for the night and found that my sweet broody mom has totally rejected her 5 week old babies. Just like that! Last night they were all huddled under her wing and tonight she is on the roost with the big girls and the babies are all huddled together in one of the nest boxes by themselves! Will I need to worry about them with the other hens now that she won't be the sweet protecting mom anymore? I think she laid an egg yesterday. Does that make her not want to be a mom anymore?

Wow, went out to close up the coop for the night and found that my sweet broody mom has totally rejected her 5 week old babies. Just like that! Last night they were all huddled under her wing and tonight she is on the roost with the big girls and the babies are all huddled together in one of the nest boxes by themselves! Will I need to worry about them with the other hens now that she won't be the sweet protecting mom anymore? I think she laid an egg yesterday. Does that make her not want to be a mom anymore?
Mine has released hers around tht age as well, and also started laying again. She will keep the bigger birds off them though, if she's in the same run with them. She just doesn't want them at night. Maybe observe yours in the morning and see if maybe that's the case?

Back
Top Bottom