YO GEORGIANS! :)

I am so excited that my hens are finally over their molt (except for maybe 4). They have had a good break....at least 2 months of not laying eggs! I have been getting between 1-5 eggs for these past two months. Two weeks ago, I put a light with a timer on in the coop. Knowing it usually takes 10 - 14 days for the added light to kick in, I patiently waited. Yesterday I got 13 eggs plus two duck eggs and today I got 14 plus the two duck eggs! Yea! Back into the egg business! Now, hopefully the others will start laying, too!

GAM had a surprise today, too. One of our goats gave her a surprise baby.

we like pictures
I'm from Metter GA, East of Savannah. Moved here about 3 years ago from Pennsylvania and love it here!!!!!
welcome-byc.gif

I almost forgot to tell you ,  I got my first dark brown egg today,I have no idea who gave it to me but my first ever in the whole wide world, pretty cool huh, lol :celebrate
YAY ITS IS VERY COOL AND IT AMAZING HOW OFTEN CHICKEN CAN LAY EGGS ,I have 20 RIR hens and im still amazed at getting 12 to 15 eggs every day aome days it may be 17 or 18. I kbow how you feel when ya get that first one it makes you feel that all that hard work raising baby
1f424.png
and watching them grow up into hens has finally paid off.

My DH called me a freak tonight cause one of my babies was scared and I put my hand down and called it and she came a running, they just don't get it :idunno

Hahahaha, my husband thinks I'm a freak as well. He pulled up in the drive this morning ( after taking the kids to school) to find me preening our roo. I may or may not have been crooning to Baymax, telling him how handsome he is.........

My husband just stared at me, shaking his head.

Thought I would share a health issue I had with one of our EE (actually it's one we got from you, Flower, so she's young). A week ago today I noticed she had a swollen face, with a big lump by her ear. Ended up she had a dog tick hanging from the lump, and the lump was very bruised looking. Thinking it was an abscess, I hot packed it and lanced it, but no puss to be found! My stepdad was visiting, and he's a veterinarian, so he did some research. Turned out that Pepper needed to be treated with tetracycline. So he figure out the dosing I would need, since it was just one bird. Got the powdered tetracycline, mixed 2 tablespoons to a gallon, and have been giving that to Pepper for 6 days now. The lump and the swelling are totally gone. She isn't too happy being in our sunroom, but she's right next to the kids Lego table, so she's entertained.

Just thought I would post in case anyone else ever had this happen. When my stepdad was researching it ( he loves to do research, he's a respiratory vet at a Big 10 university), he found this happens in chickens. It's usually either an infection or a tumor. He has access to websites that I wouldn't, so I am really grateful he was here.

Here are pics of her. I could tell she was really sick, right away. Normal now, and eating and drinking with a vengeance!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom