YO GEORGIANS! :)

We bleed black and gold in this house for sure but I do have a bulldog that is my way of warming up to Georgia football . Her name is Lucy she is a cutie she herds the chickens she pokes them in the butt puts them back in the run

Thought I would share a health issue I had with one of our EE (actually it's one we got from you, Flower, so she's young). A week ago today I noticed she had a swollen face, with a big lump by her ear. Ended up she had a dog tick hanging from the lump, and the lump was very bruised looking. Thinking it was an abscess, I hot packed it and lanced it, but no puss to be found! My stepdad was visiting, and he's a veterinarian, so he did some research. Turned out that Pepper needed to be treated with tetracycline. So he figure out the dosing I would need, since it was just one bird. Got the powdered tetracycline, mixed 2 tablespoons to a gallon, and have been giving that to Pepper for 6 days now. The lump and the swelling are totally gone. She isn't too happy being in our sunroom, but she's right next to the kids Lego table, so she's entertained.

Just thought I would post in case anyone else ever had this happen. When my stepdad was researching it ( he loves to do research, he's a respiratory vet at a Big 10 university), he found this happens in chickens. It's usually either an infection or a tumor. He has access to websites that I wouldn't, so I am really grateful he was here.

Here are pics of her. I could tell she was really sick, right away. Normal now, and eating and drinking with a vengeance!

All from a tick, thanks for sharing, wish I had a step as a vet, but then he would quickly disown me I'd cost him too much.
gig.gif

I know that look!! We have a bunch of banty and serama roos, and a number of the boys love to visit for regular cuddles and preening. Think DH gets a little jealous sometimes!!
big_smile.png

Yes I have a really big boy I call John Boy any way he is known to get extra attention. I do think they get jealous.
Apparently no bantam are available, either have to order 10 or more or have to either hatch eggs or get one younger then 6 weeks. Did not think getting a bantam @ 6 wk or older would be so difficult. Guess my serama and other bantam ain't going to have company or another one to snuggle with.
You contacted mtn laurel ? Was she shipping? find out if they are coming to GA, maybe I can meet up with them, that is how I picked up my birds I got from her, last year but then a predator did a number on my flock and lost my Nankins I have gotten from her, I was looking to get some more very nice tame birds. Her husband shows rabbits so maybe their is a show close. You can put a LF hen with them, do you have a youngest one? If not anyone close you can borrow one for the winter?

I will publicly admit I sit and talk to the rooster like he knows exactly what I'm saying, and I always tell him that he's the most handsome rooster on the street. I'll tell him "Show me how fancy your feathers are, Mr." He'll puff his chest out, flap his wings and stand on one foot. He's ridiculous.
love.gif

But, my DH knew what he was getting himself into. He knew me and my friends are all a bunch of weirdos before we got married 16 years ago. So, he shouldn't be all that surprised.
My DH tells me to kiss him so he can say I had a pecker on my lips, can I say that here?
lau.gif

Cool. Steelers fan by marriage here!
When you say black and gold I think of the Saints, yes I once lived in Louisiana.

All from a tick, thanks for sharing, wish I had a step as a vet, but then he would quickly disown me I'd cost him too much.
gig.gif

Yes I have a really big boy I call John Boy any way he is known to get extra attention. I do think they get jealous.
You contacted mtn laurel ? Was she shipping? find out if they are coming to GA, maybe I can meet up with them, that is how I picked up my birds I got from her, last year but then a predator did a number on my flock and lost my Nankins I have gotten from her, I was looking to get some more very nice tame birds. Her husband shows rabbits so maybe their is a show close. You can put a LF hen with them, do you have a youngest one? If not anyone close you can borrow one for the winter?

My DH tells me to kiss him so he can say I had a pecker on my lips, can I say that here?
lau.gif

When you say black and gold I think of the Saints, yes I once lived in Louisiana.

Have contacted MT Laurel to see what she may have available in bantam but have not gotten any response from my email. Have contacted Bob's chicken ranch, he was at TSC swap meet he has nothing available, chickeninnkeeper has nothing available and the only possibility is boggy bottom bantams but they are @ 5 hour drive. So do not have a LF can put with them, that I would feel comfortable with. So for now looks like am running out of options for getting another bantam. The Serena and other bantam are sure missing the one I had with them..

Have contacted MT Laurel to see what she may have available in bantam but have not gotten any response from my email. Have contacted Bob's chicken ranch, he was at TSC swap meet he has nothing available, chickeninnkeeper has nothing available and the only possibility is boggy bottom bantams but they are @ 5 hour drive. So do not have a LF can put with them, that I would feel comfortable with. So for now looks like am running out of options for getting another bantam. The Serena and other bantam are sure missing the one I had with them..
She will get back to you, you did use her gmail address?

All from a tick, thanks for sharing, wish I had a step as a vet, but then he would quickly disown me I'd cost him too much.  :gig

You contacted mtn laurel ?  Was she shipping?  find out if they are coming to GA, maybe I can meet up with them, that is how I picked up my birds I got from her, last year but then a predator did a number on my flock and lost my Nankins I have gotten from her,  I was looking to get some more very nice tame birds.  Her husband shows rabbits so maybe their is a show close.  You can put a LF hen with them, do you have a youngest one?  If not anyone close you can borrow one for the winter?

My DH tells me to kiss him so he can say I had a pecker on my lips, can I say that here?  :lau

I lived in New Orleans for 3 years, and hated it. Never got into the Saints. Steelers all the way. (Even if I was scared to death to wear my steelers stuff when I lived there).

I lived in New Orleans for 3 years, and hated it. Never got into the Saints. Steelers all the way. (Even if I was scared to death to wear my steelers stuff when I lived there).
I was 7 when we moved from there and was taken to the Saints game only pro-ball game I have to this day seen live. I remember the amusement park on lake Pontachain ( I'm sure I've spelled it wrong) they had a ride that after several accidents and deaths they finally took it down, it was the one that used to jump the tracks all the time and end up in the lake"The Wild Mouse" and then I remember Hurricane Camille came through.

I never said gum bands (moved to PA from Texas when I was six). But Jagger bushes are real !!!!!! My 8 year old asks for a new steelers shirt from Grandma every year (she keeps growing out of them).
Explain "gum bands" and "Jagger bushes"

Has anyone ever hear a rooster roll his crow? Like a person rolls their "R's" it is the funniest crow, I love it.

@carcar You did give me a Brahama boy, what I thought was a really big girl and my favorite is now looking like a boy I will have to take a pic and my Olives I have a boy there too!!! I'm so happy. The olives don't really like being picked up but my brahamas don't mind at all and they are the softest birds, I just love them.

Back
Top Bottom