YO GEORGIANS! :)

My quail eggs finally hatched. Out of 64 sent, 9 broke in the egg turners, 8 didn't develope, 14 hatched Saturday, 23 hatched yesterday(official hatch day), and my wife just called and said 1 more has hatched and 2 more have zipped today. I have been sweating bullets with these because my last 2 experiences with shipped eggs were duds and I had a lot invested in these but turned out to not be a bad batch at all. This is the only pic I have right now

I'm trying to find someone that will have SS, RIR and Barred Rock eggs for hatching mid March. I have chicks coming the week of April 11 so I want to set eggs to hatch out around that time so I can put the chicks all together. I want to get them from GA so they don't ship from far off in case it is cool then.
smile.png
Please let me know if y'all know of someone I can purchase them from.

Need a little advice. My little favorite hen Dumpling had a wound on her side from over zealous rooster. Cleaned and covered with wound care. I have kept her separate in the coop but she is still not standing on her leg on that side. It's been a week getting a little concerned don't know what else to do.

I'm trying to find someone that will have SS, RIR and Barred Rock eggs for hatching mid March. I have chicks coming the week of April 11 so I want to set eggs to hatch out around that time so I can put the chicks all together. I want to get them from GA so they don't ship from far off in case it is cool then. :)  Please let me know if y'all know of someone I can purchase them from.  

I will have production type RIR eggs starting in two weeks. Debating finding some heritage type to raise for next year.

My quail eggs finally hatched. Out of 64 sent, 9 broke in the egg turners, 8 didn't develope, 14 hatched Saturday, 23 hatched yesterday(official hatch day), and my wife just called and said 1 more has hatched and 2 more have zipped today. I have been sweating bullets with these because my last 2 experiences with shipped eggs were duds and I had a lot invested in these but turned out to not be a bad batch at all. This is the only pic I have right now

What kind of quail did you hatch? We hatched Bob Whites and had only ever hatched Coturnix Quail. The Bob Whites are so much more fragile.

What kind of quail did you hatch? We hatched Bob Whites and had only ever hatched Coturnix Quail. The Bob Whites are so much more fragile.
These are jumbo coturnix from james marie farms. I tried bobwhites last year and they are much too fragile and wild for my liking. These coturnix were sluggish for the first couple of days, but when I got home from work yesterday, they were a lot more lively however not wild like the bobwhites.

These are jumbo coturnix from james marie farms. I tried bobwhites last year and they are much too fragile and wild for my liking. These coturnix were sluggish for the first couple of days, but when I got home from work yesterday, they were a lot more lively however not wild like the bobwhites.

You made the right choice. The Coturnix quail are so much easier and they grow faster and start laying at like 8 weeks. We got carried away and ended up with hundreds in no time. Only thing I would recommend is not keeping many males. They are breeding machines and will breed the hens to death. We kept 1 male for every 5 hens and even dropped it to 1 for every 8. Like I said, breeding machines. We had 1 Bob White female in with all of them and they never tried to breed her or maybe she never allowed them to. We tried to incubate her eggs several times and none were ever fertile.

One thing I did notice about all of ours, if we approached their coop wearing red, they would panic and I mean go crazy. Other than that, they were really docile, and I mean walk in and pick them up, but that is if you spend time with them as chicks. We worked a lot through one hatch and those were a little more wild.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom