YO GEORGIANS! :)

a question for those of you with cabinet bators, how big is the water container for boosting humidity? I think the temps in this wine cooler bator are going to be good to go. I put a small bowl of water in the top of this last night, and if it did anything as far as putting humidity in, you wouldn't know it. I've taken it out, put a pie pan in there with warm water, and I've added a sponge in the bottom.

would it be better in the bottom? the heat source and fan are in the bottom.....I was hoping to get the eggs I have in my LG due to hatch tomorrow in here today, but I've got to figure out how to get the humidity up!

thanks!

I am new to the BYC and live in Georgia also, wanted to say hey! I am new to raising chickens.

Welcome !
welcome-byc.gif

a question for those of you with cabinet bators, how big is the water container for boosting humidity? I think the temps in this wine cooler bator are going to be good to go. I put a small bowl of water in the top of this last night, and if it did anything as far as putting humidity in, you wouldn't know it. I've taken it out, put a pie pan in there with warm water, and I've added a sponge in the bottom.

would it be better in the bottom? the heat source and fan are in the bottom.....I was hoping to get the eggs I have in my LG due to hatch tomorrow in here today, but I've got to figure out how to get the humidity up!

thanks!
Remember humidity is relative to the surface area of the container.
In my old #416 the container is in the bottom just above the heater and the fan blows over the surface of the water. This keeps the water warm and acts somewhat as a heat sink. The pan is a big baking pan, probably 10" x 16" or so. Uncovered, it runs at about 65% humidity. I've covered it about 3/4 with foil and that cut it down to 38%.

Remember humidity is relative to the surface area of the container.
In my old #416 the container is in the bottom just above the heater and the fan blows over the surface of the water. This keeps the water warm and acts somewhat as a heat sink. The pan is a big baking pan, probably 10" x 16" or so. Uncovered, it runs at about 65% humidity. I've covered it about 3/4 with foil and that cut it down to 38%.
thanks....

I did know that, but being that I'm just starting with this, I had no idea how it would run to start with. so I started small.... The heater/fan blows up from the bottom, so I can't make it blow over the surface of the water pan. I've replaced the bowl and the pie pan with a larger rectangular pan and will see if that helps. thanks for the input, always open to suggestions and advice from those who know!

ok so I found a sterilite container that's the perfect size to fit in the bottom of it, water surface area around 10x19. put it in and have the humidity up to 53% per one hygrometer and 49% by the other one, one shelf below it. I also picked up some kitchen sponges and put one in as well.

Trying to bump this up, because I have a couple of impatient ameraucanas who want to hatch a day early.....I'd like to get them in this one before they do, although now that they've pipped, I'll let them finish first and hopefully get it moved before any others pip

ok instead of another post, I'll just edit this one to say now I have three pipped
big_smile.png

Last edited:
ok so I found a sterilite container that's the perfect size to fit in the bottom of it, water surface area around 10x19. put it in and have the humidity up to 53% per one hygrometer and 49% by the other one, one shelf below it. I also picked up some kitchen sponges and put one in as well.

Trying to bump this up, because I have a couple of impatient ameraucanas who want to hatch a day early.....I'd like to get them in this one before they do, although now that they've pipped, I'll let them finish first and hopefully get it moved before any others pip

ok instead of another post, I'll just edit this one to say now I have three pipped
big_smile.png
If you are planning on putting in a float system to keep the container filled, get some big , thick sponges and regulate the water depth so the top of the sponges remain above the water level. That should boost your humidity a little more.

Back
Top Bottom