YO GEORGIANS! :)

Good morning! I'm in Paulding County, NW of Atlanta. Can you believe how cold it's been? Feels like I'm back in Germany.
Hi Granolamom! I'm in Paulding County too and I am VERY new to this chicken thang. I have 11 Black Australorp hens and 1 rooster. 18 weeks old. One is acting ... not well. I'm worried about her, but also don't want her to spread anything to the others. Do you know of a vet who will treat chickens?

Last edited:
Hi Granolamom! I'm in Paulding County too and I am VERY new to this chicken thang. I have 11 Black Australorp hens and 1 rooster. 18 weeks old. One is acting ... not well. I'm worried about her, but also don't want her to spread anything to the others. Do you know of a vet who will treat chickens?
What are her symptoms? You can google 'chicken diseases (or illnesses). It may be something minor. A vet is so expensive!

I am planning on going to the Apple Festival next weekend (In Ellijay), the Gold Rush Festival (in Dahlonega) the following weekend and the Moonshine Festival (in Dawsonville) the last weekend in Oct. If anyone is planning on going to any of these festivals, let me know and we can meet up and talk chicken!!!! Yay! I love talking chickens! I think that is why I love going to the Farmers Market so much! People ask me about chickens and eggs and I love it! Yep, I'm a chicken nerd!

Tragic dog attack on my layers yesterday. My hens are allowed out in the afternoon and were.in the front yard yesterday. My son and husband were building.the new coop in the back when all of a sudden a black pit bull got into the yard. I thought the gate.was shut but apparently it was.not shut all the way. We heard the commotion from the back and ran to the front to find this dog attacking our chickens. He ran off.with my Barred rock hen in his mouth and several other chickens had tried to take refuge in the woods. We scared him off but while looking for the other chickens he came back and was chasing another hen. This time screaming and yelling we drove him off again. He grased the hens wing and injured her but I was able to make him drop the hen and get her back. My husband got in the truck and followed the dog to it's home and found my dead BR. He showed the hen to the owner and the owner said she didn't know her dog had gotten free from his chain. She did pay for the dead hen and was very sorry about the incident. My injured hen seems to be doing better today she has a deep bite wound in her brest but didn't seem to pierce anything major her wing is torn but not broken. I am treating her with antibiotics and hoping her wing will heal. She will be inside till I feel she is healed.enough to go back out in the coop. We found the other two hens in the woods but they were not injured.

Ok, she didn't know, but she now knows what he will do *if* he gets off his chain. I would let it go in the interest of good "neighbor relations" but the next time it happens, and it will, he'd be shot dead on the spot if it were me.

What are her symptoms? You can google 'chicken diseases (or illnesses). It may be something minor. A vet is so expensive!
Are you in Paulding County as well?
Symptoms:
Well, she's clearly the last in pecking order. The others always chase her away. She also has a bald spot on her neck where Roo was a little rough with her when she wasn't ready to mate - only 14 weeks old at the time, 18 weeks old now. But that's just background. I try to make sure she gets food and water when I put it out. Yesterday she wasn't interested in either. She was very lethargic and stayed off by herself. Today, she has a new bald spot on her back at the base of her tail. Don't know if it's from the others picking on her or if she's sick. She's too young to be molting, but she looks like she has the mange!

Are you in Paulding County as well?
Symptoms:
Well, she's clearly the last in pecking order. The others always chase her away. She also has a bald spot on her neck where Roo was a little rough with her when she wasn't ready to mate - only 14 weeks old at the time, 18 weeks old now. But that's just background. I try to make sure she gets food and water when I put it out. Yesterday she wasn't interested in either. She was very lethargic and stayed off by herself. Today, she has a new bald spot on her back at the base of her tail. Don't know if it's from the others picking on her or if she's sick. She's too young to be molting, but she looks like she has the mange!
Is there any way you can separate her for a while? Sounds like they are picking on her because she is sick. Chickens are known to 'eliminate' the sick or weak.

Tragic dog attack on my layers yesterday. My hens are allowed out in the afternoon and were.in the front yard yesterday. My son and husband were building.the new coop in the back when all of a sudden a black pit bull got into the yard. I thought the gate.was shut but apparently it was.not shut all the way. We heard the commotion from the back and ran to the front to find this dog attacking our chickens. He ran off.with my Barred rock hen in his mouth and several other chickens had tried to take refuge in the woods. We scared him off but while looking for the other chickens he came back and was chasing another hen. This time screaming and yelling we drove him off again. He grased the hens wing and injured her but I was able to make him drop the hen and get her back. My husband got in the truck and followed the dog to it's home and found my dead BR. He showed the hen to the owner and the owner said she didn't know her dog had gotten free from his chain. She did pay for the dead hen and was very sorry about the incident. My injured hen seems to be doing better today she has a deep bite wound in her brest but didn't seem to pierce anything major her wing is torn but not broken. I am treating her with antibiotics and hoping her wing will heal. She will be inside till I feel she is healed.enough to go back out in the coop. We found the other two hens in the woods but they were not injured.
So sad about the dog attack and you losing the hen. I hate that for you! Hope all will work out.

Well, poo nuggets! I finally decided to put my chicks (5-8 weeks old) out in the juvenile grow out pen yesterday. It is a pen inside the main coop but has it's own run. I checked on them last night and all was well. This morning I go in and was missing one young Isa Brown. I found it in the corner of the main coop! There are about 70+ big chickens in there. There is a 2" gap between the door that separates the main coop with the juveniles. It is usually covered over by wood shavings, but apparently the chicks or hens scratched away those shavings and this chick for whatever reason squeezed itself through that gap. It had no blood on it, no feathers missing, just sat there with its wings all hunched over. Apparently it was so traumatized, it wouldn't eat or drink. I put her back in her old home to calm it down, but she ended up dying. Poor baby! The other juveniles are loving their new bigger home!

Anybody on BYC live in Georgia?
I'm gonna make a list of Georgians below! Let's get the LONGEST list possible! Each name counts one point, and mods or staff are worth 5 points!

Georgians' names collected so far:
1. SeramaSweetie
2. Pumpkinpup
3. porteryork
4. rooster-red
5. jonbanks
6. Chix-in-GA
7. mazdacrzy
8. Missouri chick
9. bantyman
10. 1acrefarm
11. EggCentric