YO GEORGIANS! :)

Dallas, Georgia here with 12 black Australorps (11 hens, 1 Roo). They turned 20 weeks old today. How much longer till I get my first egg?
You may want to start giving your girls a few hours of pre-dawn supplemental light in the hen house if you want them to lay. It doesn't harm the birds at all, and you can have lots of eggs all through late fall and winter.

Use a timer on the light so you don't have to get up at 4:30 a.m. each day to flip on the switch. Best of luck.

You may want to start giving your girls a few hours of pre-dawn supplemental light in the hen house if you want them to lay. It doesn't harm the birds at all, and you can have lots of eggs all through late fall and winter.

Use a timer on the light so you don't have to get up at 4:30 a.m. each day to flip on the switch. Best of luck.
Thank you - will try this!

Yeah, when I did this last year, I wasn't thinking and set my timer to give them extra light time in the evening. Chickens don't like it when they're pecking around and the light suddenly goes off and they can't find their roost. :)

Ummm, renters left a half dozen of 'large' eggs in the fridge. I weighed the eggs and 3 of the 6 weighed at 'medium' size! What a rip-off!
The price of eggs has gotten so low that's it's hard to be ripped off as long as you have 12 eggs in the carton, even if they don't make weight. Last week at the Carrollton Aldi's we bought 4 dozen eggs for 32¢ per dozen (less than 3¢ per egg). Heck, an empty egg carton at TSC runs 49¢.

Back
Top Bottom