Yolk unabsorbed?? Week old chick

Aleah913

Chirping
Sep 4, 2020
Chick is possibly 1 week old is a bantam, just got him/her yesterday at TS I can't tell if it had an unabsorbed yolk sac that ruptured and is now gone and that's what's all over its stomach or what it is. The blue circled part is its poop which is the same color as the yellowish stuff on its stomach. I know it has a prolapse did put witch hazel on and Vaseline along with Vaseline on the area that's discolored on its stomach. Any suggestions? Yesterday it was sleeping on its back twice but hasn't since then and has been running around, eating, drinking perfectly fine and otherwise seems completely normal. TS is aware that there's something wrong with it and is giving me another tomorrow morning just in case this little one doesn't make it since they're true bantams and go fast. Thank you in advance
16823041593048339317769633726495.jpg

Attachments

• 20230423_224418.jpg
    20230423_224418.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230423_224712.jpg
    20230423_224712.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 3
Can you see the vent? Is that's what has prolapsed?

I'd gently clean her up and see if you can find the navel. If she's a week old, it should be healed over or a tiny scab there.
Dry her well after the wash up, use a hairdryer on low if you have one, you don't want her to get chilled. And of course, apply your ointment/vaseline to the prolapsed tissue.

Running around eating/drinking is promising.

Can you see the vent? Is that's what has prolapsed?

I'd gently clean her up and see if you can find the navel. If she's a week old, it should be healed over or a tiny scab there.
Dry her well after the wash up, use a hairdryer on low if you have one, you don't want her to get chilled. And of course, apply your ointment/vaseline to the prolapsed tissue.

Running around eating/drinking is promising.
Sorry, yes her vent is prolapsed. I can't see her navel too well but can feel it there is a tiny scab. I just got out of the shower and in bed so will clean her tomorrow morning. I wanted to today but was nervous since I wasn't sure exactly what it was, now I'm thinking she didn't fully absorb the yolk sac and it either ruptured and the yolk is stuck in her feathers dried up or it was tied off at the hatchery or at TS. I bought 6 chicks and checked all of their feet wings and vents accept for 1 only because they weren't even out of display yet they were in the back room and we had been in there for a while deciding on which ones to buy and didn't want to get the employee in any trouble she was the last one picked so grabbed her barely looked at her butt just to see if she had pasty butt and looked at her feet as I was putting her I the box with the others...I did add electrolytes to their water just in case and like you said eating drinking and being active is definitely promising! She is the loudest chick out of the bunch but does chirp honestly a lot!

It may just be stuck on egg goo or dried poop, hard to tell.

Let us know how she's doing in the morning.
Sorry for taking so long to update, got a new phone and forgot to log back in. Yes it ended up being dried up yolk and came right off but she/he did end up passing away yesterday morning....I struggled getting the swelling to go down enough to push the prolapse back in plus with him/her being so small (bantam chick) it was a struggle even with using a q tip. I tried using antibiotic ointment, Vaseline, hydrocortisone cream (vet recommended since hemorrhoid cream wasn't helping at all) tried soaking in warm water, warm sugar water, tried putting sugar on, put extra vitamins in her/his water and nothing was helping. In a way I'm glad he (George, he had an attitude and reminded me of my rooster when he was little so we've been calling it a him) passed away, if he didn't yesterday morning I was going to put him out of his misery last night which would've broken my heart but seeing how weak and how much pain he was in (non stop cheeping ended up loosing his voice but still tried cheeping anyway) broke my heart too. I figured with the yolk being all over his stomach he was probably honestly forced from his shell too soon and even if he did make it probably would have issues further down the road with his vent or other health issues since he didn't fully absorb his yolk. Thank you for your help though! I do appreciate it!

Sorry for taking so long to update, got a new phone and forgot to log back in. Yes it ended up being dried up yolk and came right off but she/he did end up passing away yesterday morning....I struggled getting the swelling to go down enough to push the prolapse back in plus with him/her being so small (bantam chick) it was a struggle even with using a q tip. I tried using antibiotic ointment, Vaseline, hydrocortisone cream (vet recommended since hemorrhoid cream wasn't helping at all) tried soaking in warm water, warm sugar water, tried putting sugar on, put extra vitamins in her/his water and nothing was helping. In a way I'm glad he (George, he had an attitude and reminded me of my rooster when he was little so we've been calling it a him) passed away, if he didn't yesterday morning I was going to put him out of his misery last night which would've broken my heart but seeing how weak and how much pain he was in (non stop cheeping ended up loosing his voice but still tried cheeping anyway) broke my heart too. I figured with the yolk being all over his stomach he was probably honestly forced from his shell too soon and even if he did make it probably would have issues further down the road with his vent or other health issues since he didn't fully absorb his yolk. Thank you for your help though! I do appreciate it!
I'm sorry to hear about George :hugs
You did all you could, sometimes little ones like this fail no matter what you do.

Back
Top Bottom