Yolks break easy

The store bought eggs are nearing a mummified state. Let your eggs sit in the fridge a few weeks may help. Just kidding, I don't know if that will work.
Seriously, if you are feeding a 16% protein feed, and feeding lot of scraps or scratch grains. Maybe try a 18/20% protein, it may strengthen the film surrounding the yolk. It's only a theory.
GC

I find that fertile egg yolks that have been left under a Hen for even 24 hours break easier than if picked each afternoon. Egg membrane breaks easier too, or could be my imagination.

My egg yolks seem to break easy. I feed them laying pellets from my local feed store. Could this be a nutrition problem?

It is possible that it is a nutrition problem. Feeding a high-quality diet that meets all of the bird’s nutrient requirements is going to be important to maintaining a strong yolk membrane. Purina Layena would provide your birds with the proper nutrition.

Nutrition is not the only thing that could be affecting yolk strength. I will start with storage of the eggs. Do the eggs spend a lot of time at room temperature or in the coop in the heat? The longer the eggs are warmer than your refrigerator, the faster the yolk membranes will degrade. The warmer it is, the faster they degrade. Get the eggs into the fridge as soon as you can. That will help to keep the membranes strong. Age of the egg will also play a role. As the egg ages, the membranes inside the egg also degrade. The age of the birds also can impact yolk quality. As the birds get older, they begin to produce a lower quality egg. Or as the hens get closer to a time when they need to molt, the quality of the inside of the egg will also decrease. Not much you can do about the age of the bird, but you can provide a complete feed to your hens, collect the eggs as often as possible, store them at the right temperature, and use the older eggs for hard-boiling and baking. Use the fresh eggs when you want the yolk to stay intact.

It is possible that it is a nutrition problem. Feeding a high-quality diet that meets all of the bird’s nutrient requirements is going to be important to maintaining a strong yolk membrane. Purina Layena would provide your birds with the proper nutrition.

Nutrition is not the only thing that could be affecting yolk strength. I will start with storage of the eggs. Do the eggs spend a lot of time at room temperature or in the coop in the heat? The longer the eggs are warmer than your refrigerator, the faster the yolk membranes will degrade. The warmer it is, the faster they degrade. Get the eggs into the fridge as soon as you can. That will help to keep the membranes strong. Age of the egg will also play a role. As the egg ages, the membranes inside the egg also degrade. The age of the birds also can impact yolk quality. As the birds get older, they begin to produce a lower quality egg. Or as the hens get closer to a time when they need to molt, the quality of the inside of the egg will also decrease. Not much you can do about the age of the bird, but you can provide a complete feed to your hens, collect the eggs as often as possible, store them at the right temperature, and use the older eggs for hard-boiling and baking. Use the fresh eggs when you want the yolk to stay intact.
Thank you.
The chickens are young. The eggs are collected first thing every morning when we let the girls out. They eggs go right in the fridge. I believe my feed store sells Purina, perhaps ill try that feed for a while.

Back
Top Bottom