You Can Sex a Chicken Egg?

Well... no one said it was 100% guaranteed accurate. And the zoos need to feed their animals too ya know
smile.png

Changing the temperature of incubation does not change the sex of the chicks - it may, though, affect the survival of the embryos. It appears that male embryos tolerate a higher temperature than female, so higher temps at incubation will result in more male chicks because more female embryos die during incubation - meaning that you hatch fewer chicks, but a higher percentage of them will be male.

Changing the temperature of incubation does not change the sex of the chicks - it may, though, affect the survival of the embryos. It appears that male embryos tolerate a higher temperature than female, so higher temps at incubation will result in more male chicks because more female embryos die during incubation - meaning that you hatch fewer chicks, but a higher percentage of them will be male.
About 12 years ago my daughter wanted to do a science experiment for school... She wanted to hatch eggs. I built a still air incubator, and put a baffle in it so half of the eggs were near the light, and half were away from the light. The temperature of the eggs near the light was 100-101, the temperature of the eggs on the other side of the baffle was 99-100. The warmer eggs hatched a day before the cooler eggs,
I know that the first egg to hatch was female, she was with the warmer eggs. I don't think I have the records any more of what chickens hatched from which eggs, but one group did end up being mostly female and the other mostly male. (If I had to guess, I think it was the warmer eggs that were mostly female, but that is contrary to what muttsfan posted.
No, I don't believe that incubating temperature affects the sex of chicken eggs, or we'd be incubating at a different temperature. :) And it has been proven that temperature does not affect sex-determination in birds, only in reptiles.

BTW, when looking for scientific evidence, try searching with "Google Scholar" It eliminates much, but not all, of the unscientific garbage.

HahahahAa, I saw Some videos about this on YouTube and tried it last year. I gave my hen 5 eggs round as I could find. 3 hatched. Alas all 3 were roosters. Dare I experiment again?

Just found this thread and looking back i tjink its funny because they have egg sexing now proven to work 100% of the time. There are actually several different ways they do it too. There is air pressure or using air to get a reading of the structures, there is a laser hole technique where they use a microscopic hole to bounce a laser and get a reading of interior stuctures and there is a new way coming out now with just candleing!!
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png
1f413.png

Back
Top Bottom