YOU EAT REAL CHICKENS? ARE YOU INSANE??

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the OP:

No, it's not just you. I know the feeling. And it's frustrating.

So personally, I just try to minimize associating with such idiots. I'm glad that I am able to grow and eat real food, and that my family and loved ones appreciate real food. That's enough for me, really. Those who don't, it's their loss anyway, so we get the last laugh. The writing's always been on the wall, however some people are just too dumb to figure out what a wall is, and I just can't bother making that my problem. :)

I'm always eager and excited to talk to people who have an interest in raising animals and eating real food. I try to save my breath for those people who are able to respect and appreciate a holistic way of life. I try to avoid discussing it with those who don't.

Good luck, and don't let anybody prevent you from enjoying your real chicken! :)

Last edited:
People have been brainwashed by marketing and corporate America in general to believe that food in stores is sanitary and safe, while homemade anything is dirty, unsafe and to be suspected. It is hard to change that. I have given people eggs and had them ask me if they can be eaten. I have a sharp, sarcastic tongue, so I have been known to say, "No, actually, the eggs you get in the stores have been specially treated with a secret method that is known only to the people who have the recipe for Coca Cola, so I am just giving them to you as decoration. Don't eat them!"

It is not their fault. They are the victims of several generations of carpet bombing market. They have been told that food only comes from a store their entire lives, and when they come across someone who challenges that belief, they may react badly.

Okay, the 20% weight from fluid absorption does seem pretty excessive. I got that "fact" from a book written buy a guy who competes with the chicken mass producers, and I have found nothing else to substantiate it.
So why would you put it forth as fact? It harms your argument to use such obvious propaganda, no matter which side you're on.

That also means that everything else you say in your post is automatically suspect, since you start with a false "fact." Citations/sources for everything you've posted would be helpful.

I've been in slaughterhouses, by the way. They are not my favorite place, but the ones I've been in are fairly clean for the job they're doing. There's a lot of stuff that comes off a bird that is not excrement. It happens when I process birds at home, too. And I promise that my birds do not soak in poo.

Last edited:
.......I got that "fact" from a book written buy a guy who competes with the chicken mass producers, and I have found nothing else to substantiate it. .......
There are enough justifiable motivations for one to purchase chicken meat from a small local producer that you don't need to manufacture false "facts" and use inflammatory Boogey Men.

I only have 8 hens I got as chicks last spring. They have been off laying. I got maybe 1 egg every 3 days, if that. This last week I've been adding vitamins and electrolytes to one of their water dispensers and in the morning when I give them their laying feed I've put a small amount of water on the pellets and then sprinkled it with cayenne pepper. I got 4 eggs today, one the day before and 4 the day before that, and was thrilled.
Next Spring I plan to get a run or 2 of chicks, to raise for meat, and have my neighbor teach me how to butcher for myself. I remember from years ago that homegrown tastes so much better than store bought. My biggest problem is I will be doing it solo. Wish me luck.
Way to go!! I have some pullets that are laying well. I also have hens that went through their molt.....and some of them are hiding their eggs......I am gonna lock them up over the weekend because it is going to be cold so I can "remind" them where their eggs are supposed to be laid. Hope it works....
lol.png

I regretfully testify before the court that the statements I made shall not be admissible in this case as they all may be considered "hearsay." Had I been under oath I would have more thoroughly researched to determine the validity of the statements, but not having been part of any commercial chicken processing operation myself, any statement that I were to make would still have been considered hearsay, and thus, inadmissible in this court.

With that consideration, the source of the information has not been properly documented as I did not know that my statements would be so closely scrutinized. Most of my information regarding the processing of chicken and other meats has come from articles and documentaries concerning the American food industry, and directly from a friend and coworker who worked for sixteen years as a butcher in a commercial processing facility. If he were to appear before this court his testimony would be completely admissible, but I doubt that it would be believed anyway, considering the nature of some of the responses that I have read.

If I were to launch an exhaustive research and evidence comparison for every statement that I hear or read, I would not be able to hear or read very much of anything. I would still be on page one of that book that gave me the (probably bogus) 20% figure mentioned in the original post. By the way, in retrospect, I do feel quite gullible and embarrassed for believing that detail, considering the significance that 20% actually represents. I'm not going to experiment on this one, because it is easier to change my position and not believe it anymore, but I seriously doubt that soaking a four pound bird in water would yield a five pound bird. If we are going to be so particular about the details, I will not openly state that the suggestion is false, as I have not proven it to be false. I will simply state that I no longer believe it to be true.

May we please adjourn the court now?

With so much drama in the BYC, it's kinda hard being ChickenManTN.

Some of those reactions made me wonder if Tyson and Perdue have PR staff poking around BYC.
hu.gif

Okay moving on...

This thread started as a silly rant, because I was intrigued by the surprising responses that I got when talking about eating my chickens. Thanks to some thoughtful posters it has turned into an interesting conversation. You all have made me think much more deeply about the subject instead of just dismissing people's behavior as crazy. We are all products of our culture. Try as we may to limit its influence, we cannot avoid it.

I really like this response. At first I disagreed with the part about it being something that they "try so hard not to think about." I assumed that it was more a lack of thought than an effort not to think about it. After some more reflection on this, I agree. I believe that it starts out as lack of thinking about it, when very young. Then when a person is old enough to understand, it does become a thought that people actively suppress. I think it then goes back to something that folks just don't think about, but only as a result of that active suppression. I'm reminded of when my brother was about five years old. He quit eating ham for about a year because he learned that it comes from a pig's butt! For the vast majority of people, including me, killing is an unpleasant task. It is something that we have to learn to deal with emotionally. For someone who isn't doing the killing, it is much easier not to think about it. So we get that reaction from people because we put them in a place, mentally, where they did not want to go. We sometimes don't like surprise doses of reality!

Didn't mean to come down on you like a ton of bricks, but let me explain my position. I have worked in the environmental field for many years. It's a field where people often let their emotions hold sway instead of actual science. Remember the big bru ha ha with the Roundup Ready corn killing monarch butterflies some years ago, with environmentalists dressing up like butterflies and protesting at the Monsanto corporate headquarters? Well, turns out that BT corn doesn't kill butterflies. That's why you haven't seen those protests lately. The protesters made themselves look like idiots because they took one flawed research study that didn't come even close to recreating natural circumstances and they ran with it because they didn't like the idea of BT corn and wanted something to protest about. There are some reasons to be concerned about BT corn, but killing Monarch butterflies is not one of those reasons. Because they were working off bad science, their concerns were easily dismissed by the business and farming communities. Had they chosen the focus on something real, then they might have made more headway.

I have spent my life trying to get things DONE for the environment, rather than talking about it or protesting about it. Getting things done means working with the people that have the power--corporations, cities, etc. Dressing up in a butterfly costume and screaming might get me on the news, but wearing a sharp suit and speaking professionally changes minds where it counts--at the top. This also means that I have to have my facts checked and double-checked so that when I meet with corporate bosses or city leaders I'm not dismissed out of hand. The quickest way to get shown the door is to over-state your facts, because if you exaggerate even once, you no longer have credibility.

I believe that there are changes that should be made in the US agricultural system. I also know that our food supply is one of the cheapest and safest in the world. That makes making changes more difficult because by and large, producers are doing a good job. When people throw out exaggerated numbers that simply cannot be believed, it harms the point they are trying to make. Worse, it allows people in positions to do something about the problem to dismiss the problem out of hand and call anyone who speaks up a crank that can't be believed, because we all get painted with the same brush. And that means that even the people who do have the facts can't be heard.

Let me give you an admittedly over-the-top example. I once followed a recipe link to a blog on Paleo eating. Now, I know absolutely nothing about Paleo eating, but I'm firmly convinced that anyone who eats that way is an idiot. Why? Because the author of this blog, that gets thousands and thousands of hits, said this (paraphrasing): This is a great recipe, and even better now that I've made it Paleo by removing the oats from the recipe. After all, we all know that eating oats causes the poop to float in your blood." Now, if there's anyone out there that thinks it's possible that oats make poop float in your blood, let me know and I'll explain basic physiology to you. For the rest of you, I won't insult your intelligence. But see how the crazy statements made by one person who is representing Paleo eating can sour you on the whole thing? After that, I closed the blog and closed my mind. I'm not afraid to admit it. And I think most people are just like me. You make a statement that's so clearly untrue, it drowns out anything you or anyone else says about the subject.

OK, end of lecture/rant. ChickenManTN, you are forgiven, and I'll climb down off the soapbox. For now, because I'm sure I can't stay off it forever.
tongue.png

On the subject of Bambi--my dad has ranted for YEARS that people wouldn't be so squeamish if it weren't for Disney. I was never sure if he was right until about 10 years ago. There's a suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio where they wouldn't allow deer hunting, and when the Division of Wildlife had public meetings basically imploring people to allow a deer harvest in that area, people stood up and used the words (kid you not) "This is not going to be a town where we kill Bambi's mom." Now, if you know anything about wildlife management, you know what happened next. Bambi's mom got together with Bambi's dad, and pretty soon the area around the town was overrun with deer. People's gardens were destroyed, there were lots of deer hit on the road, etc. But that town wouldn't budge. A couple of years after that the deer population was so large that starvation and disease ran rampant, and Bambi was staggering into suburban backyards and dying there. THAT finally got peoples' attention, and they finally allowed DNR to get a whole bunch of hunters to go through those deer herds and thin them out. Then DNR hired a bunch of hunters to shoot birth-control pellets into the does so the population didn't get out of hand again. But the "Bambi Effect" was clearly very real. Chicken Run and Charlotte's Web didn't do farmers any favors, either.

I don't think his OP is harmed in any way by his exaggerations. It's pretty obvious he was using hyperbole and wan't out to establish an argument for debate.

I read this part and stopped, opened a new tab, and chromegooglefied hyperbole. "Yes," I said, switched tabs and continued reading...

Quote:

Then I saw the link! HA! Perfect. The chicken man learned a new word today.
woot.gif

English is my first language, but it's a real "mother" so I'm still learning. (I guess that's why colleges offer English degrees to folks who grew up speaking the language.) In defense of WalkingOnSunshine, I was not intentionally exaggerating, so he might win the case if we were to reopen the court, but the court has already been adjourned. As the OP, I will offer a final option for resolution of the argument. It shall be settled by tickling without mercy, until one shall scream "MOM, I CAN'T BREATHE!" and the winner shall be entitled to deliver one full wedgie, with one hand, and shall be allowed the option of a noogie with the free hand.

The population would definitely be "checked" if we lost our precious USDA and FDA. We would no longer be able to trust just any food in the store. We would be compelled to produce more for ourselves and trade on a local level with people who we know and trust. Doesn't sound like a bad deal in the long run. Truth be told, if all the supermarkets closed tomorrow I would probably die along with most everyone else. I hope to greatly reduce that vulnerability. I resent the fact that we cannot feed ourselves, and that we rely on our government and our market for safe food. We should be able to feed ourselves. It's basic human nature. We owe it to ourselves and to our families to reclaim much of our self-sufficiency that has been lost over the last couple generations.

Having seen what processing plants try to get by with, you have no idea how true that first statement is!

I would definitely lose a lot of weight but I refuse to die under that circumstance. lol The problem will be the people who will sit on their backside and play helpless and expect you to keep yourself AND THEM alive! I live in part of the area that had the big ice storm in January 2009. Some here were without electricity for over 30 days. It was 9 days at my place. That was a huge reality check. Some threw in the towel early on and went to places like the local high school where they were housed, fed, kept warm, etc. Thinking about it, I am not prepared for something like that to happen today and I need my butt kicked for it. The thing that amazes me are the people who will not even try to be prepared for something like that no matter how much you try to get them to. I have had them say (seriously!), "we will just come to your house"! THAT is the mentality of most people, "somebody else can get prepared and take care of me". AMAZING! I will gladly direct them to the local high school where they herd helpless sheeple in the event of an emergency. I will take care of the elderly and small children to the very best of my ability. The rest, nope not happening.

Last edited:
Oh what a touchy hot topic to stick your toe in to.  I am also leaning towards learning caponization.  Talk about firing squad fodder.  I myself always seem to be on the wrong end of the firing squad.

I am very new to chicken raising.  My DH was raised country, and wanted to raise chickens.  Back in 2011.    My family is totally city, and never even had pet birds.  2 poodles yes.  Cats. Sure.
Chickens?  Ours were either recipes or housed at the local zoo.  No ...seriously!!  

So, anyhoo....... 2.5 yrs in.....I have only recently done the culling/processing by myself.  We jointly did the first few....as I had not a clue.  At least he had done it before.  I have gotten to the point of being able to make the fatal cut...but am still not good nor totally comfortable with it.    It is a major learning curve for me.  

I come to BYC to learn from other peoples experiences.  Good and bad.  I mostly stay out of the conversations.  I have gotten myself on the wrong end a few times.  Taught me to keep my mouth shut for the most part.  Listen and learn. 

Why is it some people feel threatened by others experiences and opinions?  

I don't think I will ever be comfortable killing chickens, but I do it. Killing something is a lot easier when you can do it at a good distance like when hunting. Up close and personal, it is more personal.

I am thinking about trying to do some capons. I'm a little bit chicken but it sounds like it works out good production-wise.

Don't stay out of the conversations. Sounds like you have much to offer and your opinion is just as valuable as anybody elses. You just have to expect a dufus around every corner. Most of the time they are not worth fighting with, just wastes your time.

Oh what a touchy hot topic to stick your toe in to. I am also leaning towards learning caponization. Talk about firing squad fodder. I myself always seem to be on the wrong end of the firing squad.

I am very new to chicken raising. My DH was raised country, and wanted to raise chickens. Back in 2011. My family is totally city, and never even had pet birds. 2 poodles yes. Cats. Sure.
Chickens? Ours were either recipes or housed at the local zoo. No ...seriously!!

So, anyhoo....... 2.5 yrs in.....I have only recently done the culling/processing by myself. We jointly did the first few....as I had not a clue. At least he had done it before. I have gotten to the point of being able to make the fatal cut...but am still not good nor totally comfortable with it. It is a major learning curve for me.

I come to BYC to learn from other peoples experiences. Good and bad. I mostly stay out of the conversations. I have gotten myself on the wrong end a few times. Taught me to keep my mouth shut for the most part. Listen and learn.

Why is it some people feel threatened by others experiences and opinions?
I applaud you and others like you who have put their city ways aside long enough to do the deed. Yes it is hard. I have hunted deer and squirrels, then butchered and processed what I shot. I have processed many wild game animals and the experience has been priceless. I raised rabbits long ago and after I got over the "cuteness" and was over loaded with bunnies, yep, I butchered them. Same with quail and pheasants. Now it's chickens. Is it hard to butcher an animal that has been eating out of your hand? You bet'cher boots it is. Hats off to all of you who struggle with this.

What helps me is a simple prayer thanking God and thanking the animal for giving up it's life to sustain mine and my families lives. Pagan?--pray to the Earth Mother. Atheist?--try a simple Thank You to the animal itself. Just the act of giving gratitude will go a long way toward making you feel better about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom