You Feather Sexing Experts... have at it! Pretty please? (Video update)

featr sexing isnt that accurate and the trait has to be breed for to get it but there's no harm in guessing by it though...1 boy 3 girls

I'm no good at guessing that early..straining to see the feathers of new chicks hurts my eyes..but at 7 days I can tell..girls have much longer tails and wings in the Orps :)

The sex of a chick is determined by the hen and the sex organs are formed within the first five days of development during incubation. Temperature will not change sex in avian species. It may kill one sex or the other easier if the temps are incorrect for optimal incubation and getting all chicks to hatch, but it won't give you more of one or the other, as in changing/producing the sex of the chick due to lower or higher temperatures.

If there are five males and five females in ten eggs and you change the proper temp and kill off all the males, you haven't gotten more females-you have simply gotten the same number of females that would have hatched anyway and killed your males.

Feather sexing does not work on all chickens. They must be bred for that trait. I've never used feather sexing on my Orpingtons.

Last edited:
The sex of a chick is determined by the hen and the sex organs are formed within the first five days of development during incubation. Temperature will not change sex in avian species. It may kill one sex or the other easier if the temps are incorrect for optimal incubation and getting all chicks to hatch, but it won't give you more of one or the other, as in changing/producing the sex of the chick due to lower or higher temperatures.

If there are five males and five females in ten eggs and you change the proper temp and kill off all the males, you haven't gotten more females-you have simply gotten the same number of females that would have hatched anyway and killed your males.

I didn't ask the question, but I'm thankful for your reply to this thread. I had been wondering about that. Thanks!

Think about it....if this were even remotely possible, wouldn't the hatcheries would be doing it rather than having to destroy "extra" males that folks don't want?

I'm no good at guessing that early..straining to see the feathers of new chicks hurts my eyes..but at 7 days I can tell..girls have much longer tails and wings in the Orps :)

My last two hatches of orps had a cockerel in them that had tails before any of the other birds, and they were longer. I keep hearing "Orps can fool you" and yes, they can.

ETA: Also, each hatch had a pullet that was the last to get a tail. Those grew into the biggest hens.

Last edited:
Back to the question about feather sexing....
Not all breeds can be feather sexed and it is not 100% accurate, however, once you practice and track your own accuracy, you will find it is pretty reliable with many breeds.
I have Minorcas, which are not in the category for feather sexing. On the other hand, I have a batch of Buckeyes that are 2 weeks and I am quite certain of 16 I have only 10 cockerels this time.
celebrate.gif
Considering last year overall my percentage was 70% males, this is wonderful.
I am looking for ways to sex my chicks as accurately as possible on my own since I will have A LOT of extra males and I want to caponize several of them this time around to have better quality meat birds, so feather sexing is one way I can do that.
I think Wyandottes were another breed I have had a tough time feather sexing, and Hamburgs too. I am wondering if the Med breeds all fall into the same suit with this topic?

As for the chicks in the pics, #2 male the rest female.
You can also tell on some as the feathers grow out more by looking at the shape of the wing feathers. The cockerels feathers come in more blocky looking and the pullets more elongated. If I can get a picture, I will post it to this thread to show what I mean.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom