You think your cages are predator proof....

dc3085

Crowing
7 Years
Jan 6, 2013
SF Bay Area, California
Three weeks ago I had 30 6 month old hens getting back into production. I had 5 roosters which I have been specifically breeding for color. As of the day before yesterday I have 8 hens only 1 rooster left. I have to set up the gamecam to see how many raccoons are coming but it has to be several. I've run most of my cages exactly the way they are for about 5 years, and never had any predator problems. In the last two weeks I lost 21 birds (15 in one night). Many of them were pulled out of my elevated cages which have chicken wire. Out of 21 dead in two nights I only found 7 carcasses in various states of destruction. Once they got all the birds they could reach they figured out the latches on my doors.

Growing up on a farm I knew better than to expect to have no predator problems so all of my cages were lightly predator proofed due to my previous disrespect for the intelligence of city coons. Lightly isn't enough for a smart old raccoon and I knew better.

Surprisingly my ground cages that have a 10" piece of plywood running around all sides were untouched except one stupid bird that was roosting on a rock next to the wire. It was the cage I thought had the best defense that was mostly slaughtered.

The cage in the picture below went from 18 birds between all levels to only 3 left in the bottom out of pure luck, the coon opened the door because he couldn't get through the 1/2 wire and for some reason didn't get the last three hens. Adding to my luck they were so scared they were still in the cage with the door wide open when I got to them.

Something everyone should know about predators even house cats, if they get fresh blood, they go blood crazy and kill as many as possible just to drink the blood. This happens with foxes, skunks, raccoons and bobcats occasionally. Weasels will go blood crazy every time, they are by far the worst predator to have in a hen house. Also predators are either pregnant or having babies at this time of year so their food demand skyrockets.

Any opening larger than a nickel is enough for a coon to pull a quail through, and the quail will not hide in a box, mine all had boxes to hide in, all were dead outside on the floor. The same nervous pacing they do when you're around they do for the raccoon so if he's patient they'll eventually get close. The middle unit has a predator proof box and all the birds from that unit were either in pieces on the floor or pulled through and eaten. The top unit also has a box but again none of the deceased were anywhere near it. Basically they're even stupider than they seem to be.

To be fully raccoon proof you need to use 1/2 wire and some sort of lock on the doors instead of latches. I also recommend running a 10" strip of plywood around the bottoms edges on all four sides so they'd have to reach over the plywood to get a bird and their arms aren't long enough.

If anyone local has fertile eggs please PM me so I can get my flock running again. I'd be looking for in the neighborhood of at least 60-100 eggs possibly even more but right now I'd settle for any amount of hatching eggs.

Last edited:
I am sorry for your loss. Coons are a tough animal to outsmart, they are very cunning and great problem solvers. However, the way you describe animals becoming blood crazy is not true. True they will kill as many as they can, because easy food is just that. Easy. And if it so easy they will only consume what they feel, before they move onto the next kill. This is why multiple partially eaten animals are often found in these circumstances. But I can promise you the animals listed do not kill to drink the blood.

Hard to believe the coon can reach their hands through those chicken wire. I was planning to use the 1 x 2 hardware cloth that I have around, but now will have to reconsider 1/2 grid. Hate having to buy & add more to the expenses.

I have a couple of those motion detected water spray. Wonder if they'll work to deter raccoon. I used them to scare stray cats from my garden.

Sorry about the loss. Must be upsetting!

Sorry for your loss DC. Dang coons can be a real problem. Hope they get bored waiting for more free meals and move along before you add more to these cages. Again sorry and we all know better but figure it will never happen to me. I had the same thing with an aquarium full of cichlids. I cleaned the tank and forgot to add water conditioner and killed my entire tank full! It happens. And hopefully we learn from it.

I am sorry for your loss. Coons are a tough animal to outsmart, they are very cunning and great problem solvers. However, the way you describe animals becoming blood crazy is not true. True they will kill as many as they can, because easy food is just that. Easy. And if it so easy they will only consume what they feel, before they move onto the next kill. This is why multiple partially eaten animals are often found in these circumstances. But I can promise you the animals listed do not kill to drink the blood.
You're welcome to your opinion but I've seen this with my own eyes with weasels badgers and foxes, tearing throats then licking the blood that drips from them. My sister had a skunk do it in her chicken pen, never ate a single bite of chicken.

Hard to believe the coon can reach their hands through those chicken wire. I was planning to use the 1 x 2 hardware cloth that I have around, but now will have to reconsider 1/2 grid. Hate having to buy & add more to the expenses.

I have a couple of those motion detected water spray. Wonder if they'll work to deter raccoon. I used them to scare stray cats from my garden.

Sorry about the loss. Must be upsetting!
Not only can they reach through the chicken wire the stupid quail leave their box and run around like headless chickens until every one passes his hand and gets pulled through. They don't come through in one piece, the raccoon tears them into pieces to get them out.

I've been thinking of the same sort of the thing. If the water hit a raccoon by surprise I think it'd work.

Sorry for your loss DC. Dang coons can be a real problem. Hope they get bored waiting for more free meals and move along before you add more to these cages. Again sorry and we all know better but figure it will never happen to me. I had the same thing with an aquarium full of cichlids. I cleaned the tank and forgot to add water conditioner and killed my entire tank full! It happens. And hopefully we learn from it.
Yep, pride cometh before a fall as they say. I know what you mean about the fish too. I used to have a koi pond, came back from an overnight trip and there were koi littered all over my driveway, all the ones he didn't eat died because koi parts clogged the pump and they suffocated.

Lucky for me another member near me has offered to split his JMF order and it ships end of april, so it couldn't have happened at a better time if it was going to happen.

That also gives me enough time to replace all my latches and put smaller wire on the elevated cages.

How did the quail fair in the bottom pen with the hardware cloth vs poultry wire?

After one bad night I threw the roll of chicken wire out and went all hardware wire. But...

I made a rat trap with hardware cloth, caught a rat, it died, Opossums or coons tore the wire off to eat the dead rat.

I've picked off families of Coons and Opossums with the .22 pellet gun, but not with out losing enough birds to pull the trigger happily.

Sorry for your loss. :( Thank you for the warning, I hope it can be a lesson or wake up call for others at least. My husband recently built an outdoor run for my pet quail using leftover wood and chicken wire. Inside the run we revamped a small dog crate for a makeshift coop. He slept in the coop for two weeks before I heard so many horror stories like this one (also been seeing more coyotes and coons around the neighbourhood lately) that I've started taking him inside at night. Obviously that wouldn't work for everyone but that's the solution we've found for now. Good luck!

How did the quail fair in the bottom pen with the hardware cloth vs poultry wire?

After one bad night I threw the roll of chicken wire out and went all hardware wire. But...

I made a rat trap with hardware cloth, caught a rat, it died, Opossums or coons tore the wire off to eat the dead rat.

I've picked off families of Coons and Opossums with the .22 pellet gun, but not with out losing enough birds to pull the trigger happily.
He just operated the latches it would seem, the door was wide open and not damaged, some of those survived somehow. They were the hook and eye type with with a spring lock, but raccoons have thumbs big enough to open them I've learned....

I killed the first one that came but that was a month ago, I just got complacent I guess. I wondered when I bought it what I really needed a $300 pellet gun for, but now it's a regret free purchase.

Sorry for your loss. :( Thank you for the warning, I hope it can be a lesson or wake up call for others at least. My husband recently built an outdoor run for my pet quail using leftover wood and chicken wire. Inside the run we revamped a small dog crate for a makeshift coop. He slept in the coop for two weeks before I heard so many horror stories like this one (also been seeing more coyotes and coons around the neighbourhood lately) that I've started taking him inside at night. Obviously that wouldn't work for everyone but that's the solution we've found for now. Good luck!
If I ran less cages that is exactly what I would do. The whole reason I though i'd share the experience is because I've been seeing a lot of chicken wire pens lately on here. I though chicken wire was ok for the elevated cages but raccoons and their thumbs.

Not only is another BYC member letting me in on his JMF order, a guy I sold a small flock to is selling his house and wants to me take them back, so I can at least run my incubators at half production until I get new stock raised.

Hopefully someone learned from my laziness. No holes bigger than a nickels, and no more hook and eye latches.

I'm so sorry that must have been awful to find!!
Thanks, it was.

The color pattern work that I lost was hard to handle. The bird in my avatar was something to look at (the raccoon left half his carcass for me :/) and so were a few of his offspring, I lost all but one of that line, thankfully I'm getting another one back with the birds my friend is returning.

The worst part is until I moved to the city (gotta get outta here), if I had a problem like this I shot it with a .22 or whatever was handy whenever I had the chance. Here in the city I have be very careful even using a pellet gun. But the line has been drawn. I though killing the first one would suffice. In hindsight there are probably too many to trap or kill so I'm just spending the money and upgrading all the wire and latches. I'm currently trying to design some cheap DIY motion activated strobe lights to drive them away once I get them figured i'll share them.

Back
Top Bottom