You Wont Believe This!

That must have been really creepy! I can't even imagine!
ep.gif
th.gif
sickbyc.gif
LOL... I would have done EXACTLY what your hubby did! And then celebrated!
celebrate.gif
D.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif
woot.gif
tongue2.gif
bun.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Stupid little vermins!
somad.gif
rant.gif
he.gif

Quote:
These off-topic discussions are where I learn the most interesting stuff! I had no idea there were opossum farms or rescue operations.
Quote:
This is a really interesting alternative approach I had never considered before.

Last edited:
To tell you the truth, I don't know. My Rat Terriers have outside pens and the chicken yard runs right beside them with the dog yard around the chicken yard. They don't pay any attention to each other, not the geese either. Might be just "armed neutrality" until someone crosses the line. Now the grandkids the chickens and the dogs notice. They usually have aomething in their hands both species wants badly. They will feed grass and bread to the chickens and stuffed toys to the Ratters. The latter portion you should know with Rat Terriers, means stuffed toy "innards" all over the ground like snow.

The Ratters will bark at my cats, but the cats pay no attention to them. It's been about, well, 15 years since I had to work out a chicken killing dog's behavior. Then I had Mr. Gobbles the VERY lonely Bourbon Red tom turkey that saw every animal in existence as a "love interest," even chicken killing dogs. A private interview between the killer and Mr. Gobbles cured said canine of even coming near my poultry yard. Sure do miss that bird. *chuckles*

He was not eaten but went on to replace another tom which died at a farm with 6 lovely Bourbon Red hens, so he was in turkey heaven the rest of his life.

I don't like the part where you say "except the Opposum" ... I hope you did not harm it, it did nothing to you and all you have to do is carry it outside by its tail and release it. These are slow, harmless animals and should not be killed for seeking shelter from the cold.

Yes Hunderds! however your jumping to the wrong conclusions.

1. I do "dispatch" possums we catch in traps. They are a predator that will cause damage.

2. I do not relocate possums, coon, mink, weasel, fox or coyotes. I do release or relocate civey cats!

3. We have raised possums in the past and I used to work at a farm that sold possums. They would ship several out each week.

I guess this is where I got confused. You thought it was a bad idea to harm a slow, harmless animal, yet it is ok to dispatch the same slow harmless animals when caught in traps because they are predators that will cause damage. Where I live, any carnivore or omnivore caught in the nest box trap, or by any other means are guilty until proven innocent. There have also been no successful arguments from the accused.

Your slow harmless opossum that is released is someone else's damage causing predator.

Never heard of a civey cat and I can't imagine why there is a market for opossum, but that is the wonderful thing about the free market.​

That opposum probably looks cute when sleeping like that, but not when attacking and eating the chickens. I say, keep a guard dog around. My friend's dog killed a monitor lizzard last night, which we call as "biawak" here, that has been killing the baby chickens in the neighborhood. And to be honest, I am glad that dog did. It's the nature thing for the monitor lizzard to kill and eat the chickens, and it's also a nature thing for the dog to kill the monitor lizzard.

I know this is an older post but I have to say that I don't think oppossoms are harmless. We caught one ripping our chicks apart last year. Just ate the heads off all of them. It was horrible. HE/SHE DID NOT LIVE TO DO IT AGAIN.

Back
Top Bottom