Young Brahma hen, strange sounds?

Nominal

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
Since she started laying, one of our Brahma hens has started... I don't know what to call this. Her cries range from like, crying baby to Jimmy Carr laughing, seagulls, squeaky toy deflating to... almost rooster crows? It's been a few days of this and she looks otherwise normal? She seems normal when she's free ranging and hanging out? Every time I go out she stops and wants to hang out/get treats. She'll do this ...generally blocking the door to the coop until she lays. I recorded some of the range this morning (sorry for the random AI art). Does anyone... know what this is? Is she okay? Our other Brahma has yet to start laying, and our Australorps are super quiet apart from a standard egg song and occasional judgey-sounding engine accelerating/revving noise.

You are correct. This vocalizing is the next level up from the egg song. Some hens are compelled to vocalize for the sheer joy of it, entertaining the flock as well as themselves. If you watch her closely, she may be demonstrating rooster body language as she revs up to sound like a rooster crowing. With practice, don't be surprised when she actually starts sounding just like a rooster. No, it has nothing to do with a damaged ovary or trying to fill a rooster void in the flock.

Thank you! Oh man what a character. (Can't wait to see/hear what our other Brahma does. 😂)

Back
Top Bottom