Young chick very lethargic not eating or sleeping. Help!

May 17, 2020
Hi everyone - I'm brand new to all of this and we got some baby chicks only a few days ago. They all currently ranging in ages between 4 or 5 days old and about 10 days old. They were all fine and active, but one of the youngest ones (about 5 days old now) suddenly rapidly declined in the last 18 hours or so, and has stopped eating or drinking and was kind of dozing and wobbling on her feet. I've been trying to get her to drink water and now she is basically lying down most of the time and sleeping. I have given her water with apple cider vinegar and a bit of garlic, and am trying to feed her with a syringe containing mushed up egg (yolk), ground up oatmeal and a bit of sugar and water, but she is not going for it. There is no sign of blood in her stool, but I know that this symptom doesn't always appear with coccidiosis - but I have separated her from the others just in case. Any ideas? I don't have any meds for coccidiosis on hand, and all the stores are closed til tuesday (holiday on monday). I was also told that amprolium is just B12, so would it be reasonable to grind up a B12 pill into water and try and feed her that? Any ideas would be welcome!

Hi everyone - I'm brand new to all of this and we got some baby chicks only a few days ago. They all currently ranging in ages between 4 or 5 days old and about 10 days old. They were all fine and active, but one of the youngest ones (about 5 days old now) suddenly rapidly declined in the last 18 hours or so, and has stopped eating or drinking and was kind of dozing and wobbling on her feet. I've been trying to get her to drink water and now she is basically lying down most of the time and sleeping. I have given her water with apple cider vinegar and a bit of garlic, and am trying to feed her with a syringe containing mushed up egg (yolk), ground up oatmeal and a bit of sugar and water, but she is not going for it. There is no sign of blood in her stool, but I know that this symptom doesn't always appear with coccidiosis - but I have separated her from the others just in case. Any ideas? I don't have any meds for coccidiosis on hand, and all the stores are closed til tuesday (holiday on monday). I was also told that amprolium is just B12, so would it be reasonable to grind up a B12 pill into water and try and feed her that? Any ideas would be welcome!
I feel for you! We brought home some welsummers a few weeks ago and one of them was lethargic. It had some gooey stuff on it we assumed from birth. We gave it a quick bath, and dried it. It moved around all crazy for the night, we were so worried. We made sure it was drinking water. The next day, it was right as rain❤️ I hope your little one gets better!

I wouldn't completely isolate her because I've found that the others will encourage her to live most of the time. Young chicks need lots of sleep and rest and what you are doing so far sounds great. I would be more worried about getting the water with the additives you've put in rather than food at this point. A hard boiled egg or two crumbled up for the new flock is great for boosting their little systems! Just my tid bit, but good luck!!

Last edited:
I feel for you! We brought home some welsummers a few weeks ago and one of them was lethargic. It had some gooey stuff on it we assumed from birth. We gave it a quick bath, and dried it. It moved around all crazy for the night, we were so worried. We made sure it was drinking water. The next day, it was right as rain❤ I hope your little one gets better!
I hope so! I got some sugar water into her and it perked her up and she started eating the egg from a syringe and drinking some of the garlic/apple cider vinegar water, but she is still swaying and lethargic. I will keep doing what I can and keep my fingers crossed. She still has a clump of scab from what I am assuming is her belly button? Then I got worried that maybe it was a clogged vent but I gave washed her bum to be sure and it looks like she's all clear, and then scabby thing is her belly button. Do you know how long that takes to fall off?

I wouldn't completely isolate her because I've found that the others will encourage her to live most of the time. Young chicks need lots of sleep and rest and what you are doing so far sounds great. I would be more worried about getting the water with the additives you've put in rather than food at this point. A hard boiled egg or two crumbled up for the new flock is great for boosting their little systems! Just my tid bit, but good luck!!
Okay - maybe I could put her back in with the others, but she is so wobbly and they just walk over her and stuff...I'm also worried that if it is coccidiosis then I should be keeping them apart? Maybe I could but a wire barrier up between them. Thanks so much for the encouragement! I will give the egg to the others too.

I hope so! I got some sugar water into her and it perked her up and she started eating the egg from a syringe and drinking some of the garlic/apple cider vinegar water, but she is still swaying and lethargic. I will keep doing what I can and keep my fingers crossed. She still has a clump of scab from what I am assuming is her belly button? Then I got worried that maybe it was a clogged vent but I gave washed her bum to be sure and it looks like she's all clear, and then scabby thing is her belly button. Do you know how long that takes to fall off?
I’m not very experienced with chicks but I’ve been researching so much it’s crazy and I’ve seen quite a few people have this issue. I’ve seen people express never to try to remove it because if you do it can cause their insides to come out. They say just let it dry up and fall off and it does take quite a while to fall off, I’ve heard like 3-7 days it should start drying up. So I’d suggest keeping an eye out just to make sure the other chicks aren’t picking on it😊 if they are separate it, it’ll be mad about being alone, but it’ll survive❤️ Good luck hon!

Back
Top Bottom