Young chicken that always wants to be held!

Tsumo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Wisconsin
I hatched a couple chicks (2) about 3 months ago, maybe a bit more than that. And they just went out into the big outdoor pen a few days ago with the big chickens. They havent gotten the hang of going into the hen house at night to roost but instead hunker down in the dirt and wait until i come out to close the door. They then come running up to me making all sorts of coos and purrs (happy chicken noises). I of course pet them and cuddle them and hold them and make a fuss over them bc i love them. My other chickens usually run away and want nothing to do with me unless i have food or water. I have never had a chicken that actually wants to be held and actually seeks me out for attention. Im NOT complaining i love holding them and cuddling them im just not used to my chickens ever acting like this. I have one especially that when i go to put it in the house will turn and try to get back out and when he/she (too early to tell yet) does get out will jump on my shoulder and sit and refuse to get off! It will go as far as sitting on my shoulder and falling asleep with its face nestled in my hair! Will this chicken continue to be such a sweet heart or will it turn like the others and be skittish? Has anyone else had this occur what did the chixken end up being like once it was full grown?
Ps this is a full size chicken it is pure white with yellow legs (dont know how it got its coloring) its father is our only rooster which is a black and gold easter egger and it mother is either a cinnamon queen or light brahma (but thus chick has no feathers on its feet. Every chick from our brahma has had feathered feet and looks like a brahma or an easter egger with feathered feet) or is a buff orphington which i am leaning towards bc of the texture of the feathers being so soft. Id post pics but my phone doesnt let me.
Sorry im so long winded. Im just so happy to have a cuddly chicken!

I hatched a couple chicks (2) about 3 months ago, maybe a bit more than that. And they just went out into the big outdoor pen a few days ago with the big chickens. They havent gotten the hang of going into the hen house at night to roost but instead hunker down in the dirt and wait until i come out to close the door. They then come running up to me making all sorts of coos and purrs (happy chicken noises). I of course pet them and cuddle them and hold them and make a fuss over them bc i love them. My other chickens usually run away and want nothing to do with me unless i have food or water. I have never had a chicken that actually wants to be held and actually seeks me out for attention. Im NOT complaining i love holding them and cuddling them im just not used to my chickens ever acting like this. I have one especially that when i go to put it in the house will turn and try to get back out and when he/she (too early to tell yet) does get out will jump on my shoulder and sit and refuse to get off! It will go as far as sitting on my shoulder and falling asleep with its face nestled in my hair! Will this chicken continue to be such a sweet heart or will it turn like the others and be skittish? Has anyone else had this occur what did the chixken end up being like once it was full grown?
Ps this is a full size chicken it is pure white with yellow legs (dont know how it got its coloring) its father is our only rooster which is a black and gold easter egger and it mother is either a cinnamon queen or light brahma (but thus chick has no feathers on its feet. Every chick from our brahma has had feathered feet and looks like a brahma or an easter egger with feathered feet) or is a buff orphington which i am leaning towards bc of the texture of the feathers being so soft. Id post pics but my phone doesnt let me.
Sorry im so long winded. Im just so happy to have a cuddly chicken!
We had an owl attack 6 newer hens when we put them out with our established flock, 4 of the smaller chickens died, 1 hid, and one was injured. Our injured hen was brought inside, and had to be fed with a syringe for several days. Now, 2 weeks later, she is happy and able to feed herself, but has become very accustomed to life inside. She has been in our master bathroom in a clear plastic container, which she could easily get out of, but she just stays. As my wife and I come and go, puppy chicken (my wife calls her that) will chirp and trill to get our attention. She will not quiet down and sleep until she has been held and pet at night. We do take her outside several times per day, but she only has 40% use of her right leg. She will continue to heal, and be demanding of us, but I am certain that the bond we have made will last her a lifetime. She thinks she's one of us!

We had a series of fox attacks in February thru march I lost 3 hens and 4 were injured the first attack it got my buff Orpington but she managed to get away. I couldn’t find her but my dad found her behind a huge rock in our yard. She was paralyzed in parts of her body I had to bring her on our deck to force feed her and give her water through a syringe. That same attack another hen had a huge gash across her back and was In with her. The other hen pecked at her head and ended up giving it a huge lump and her eye was swollen shut. I had never seen a chicken cry before but that day when I came home I did. We ended up getting her the right medicine and we got a poultry saddle for the other hen and she went back outside. Over the next month she stayed in on the deck over that time we made a true connection she was always excited to see me come home and I was always so happy that she didn’t die. Now she is always the first one to run up to me and will even sit on my boots in demand of snuggles. I love her so much.

Back
Top Bottom