Young flock and want to add a couple more chickies... the same as adding to older flock?

OffBeatBetty

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 28, 2013
Hello! I currently have 4 young chickens who are about 3 months old. Most are silkies, so small and very docile. I am picking up 2 salmon faverolles tomorrow who are a little over 1 month old. After I quarantine them for a few weeks to make sure there are no illnesses, will it be hard to introduce them as it would to an adult flock? By that point, my others will only be about 4 months old and the faverolles will be 2 months. Are young chickens generally a little more accepting about the pecking order with newcomers than an older established flock? I was going to put the newbies in a pen outside while the older ones freerange so they can look each other over, but was wondering how long I will have to do this with 2 groups of young chickens? I just don't see my silkies bullying anybody, but then again I'm new. Thanks for your advice!

They would probably do some pecking, but not as hard as adults at 4 months. If they are silkies with big crests... they probably can't see well anyway. LOL So I think it'll be fine.

Yes, done similarly. You're right, they'll probably accept newcomers more quickly than an older flock would. Being silkies will help, but doesn't guarantee anything - two of my silkies are quite nasty to newbies. It'll help that faverolles are larger than silkies, so at two months, they won't be all that much smaller than 4 mo. silkies. Of course another disadvantage is that the newbies will be outnumbered. Wishing you a smooth integration when the time comes!

Thank you for your answers! I think you're right... the size of the faverolles vs. the silkies will help them and the fact that my silkies can't see very well, lol. My orpington is the only one I worry about because of her size and the fact that she is the "top chicken" (even though I'm fairly sure I have one or two silkie roos... they all listen to her). I may have to separate her during the first introduction and ease her in later. I've seen her go one of two ways with the silkies: either bossing them around or sitting on them like a nice Mommy while they all sleep.
lol.png
Hopefully she will just want to "mother" the faverolles when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom