young hens

dada

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 4, 2013
Bracey Va
i have 4 hens that are 21 weeks old. 3 of them combs have turned red.was wondering if i should start feeding them laying pellets or are they still to young. should add that i also have three hens that are laying but because i mixed them together i have been feeding all of them grower/finisher for the last month. this has not affected the older hens laying at all.but i would like to buy laying pellets for all.are the young hens old enough for laying pellets

I'm new to chickens also. From what I've read here u should start layer feed at around 18 weeks. That's what I did. I also have 20 week old pullots and a few of them have combs that are growing and turning more red

Hi :) With my flocks I start them on Layer around 16 to 18 weeks. Depending on the breed most layers start to get ready to lay between 18 to 24 weeks old.. The change in combs could just be a sign that you may see some eggs soon maybe:)
FYI many people I know dont start layer until after they see the first egg.

i got to get a bag of feed today so i think i will be safe with laying mesh.i just don't want them to start laying half way through a bag of finisher and then have to buy something different

Back
Top Bottom