Young male chick severly beaten now withdrawn

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
A few days ago one of my young males (8 weeks old) escaped from the chick coop and found himself in a main flock of grown chickens. At the end of the day when i found him he was severly beaten and bloody on his back near the tail and also both wings.

I cleaned him up and found no skin piercings however all feathers were gone. Immediately isolated him and gave him food and water. Initially skin was raw, but now has hardened and also the gren bruising is disappearing
His condition seems to be stable but he seems withdrawn and depressed. Doesnt eat or drink much and is not very explorative of the new cage he is in. Sometimes rufles up feathers and closes eyes.

I put him back today with the rest of the similarly aged chicks but he immediately got attacked and withdrew into a corner. I isolated him again But was wondering what else i can do to help him recover.

I put him back today with the rest of the similarly aged chicks but he immediately got attacked and withdrew into a corner.
This was predictable, unfortunately. (though I get not without experience, sorry). :(

As the first poster stated use a look but don't touch set up.. for several days to a week or longer.. maybe add in one other chick at a time to the set up.. so he makes some buddies before being tossed out with the whole crew who all need to establish themselves above the newcomer in the pecking order.

It WILL help immensely! :fl

He doesn't seem to be eating or drinking much. Do you think he could be ill or any potential infection due to blood loss ?

I checked him this morning he is not improving infact withdrawn from food completly. He does not want to stand up much and walk around either.

No improvements so far. I am giving vitamins and also started a broad spectrum antibiotic just in case.

I have a feeling it may be mareks as he is otherwise active but keeps his feet curled and prefers to stay sitting. Could stress have been a trigger for the mareks virus to activate ?

Last edited:
No improvements so far. I am giving vitamins and also started a broad spectrum antibiotic just in case.

I have a feeling it may be mareks as he is otherwise active but keeps his feet curled and prefers to stay sitting. Could stress have been a trigger for the mareks virus to activate ?
It sounds like his injuries may be more serious than what you can see on the outside. Do you have an avian vet nearby who could see him? Right now the most important thing is getting him to eat and drink, have you tried getting some chick crumble wet? You make a mash out of it and sometimes they find that appetizing, you could also scramble up an egg for him.

1 week after antibiotiscs, noticed a great improvement. Antibiotics course was 1 week so stopped and it has been a further week since. The bird in question seems to have recovered. I will now try and gradually reintroduce him to the main flock.

Back
Top Bottom