Young male guinea slit his toe open; Won't stop bleeding.

Soaking the foot a little can often help gauze come loose.

When using regular gauze apply a bit of ointment then the gauze. I prefer using nonstick pads if I have any on hand since they come off a little easier.
You'll want to check that foot daily for a while. May be a good idea to give it a soak in chlorhexidine daily, pat dry, apply your ointment/gauze, then re-wrap daily for about a week. Keep him on clean dry bedding. Once it's healing really well, you can go a couple of days without changing the wrappings.
I did soak the foot to get the gauze out, but I think it was a mistake, because all it did was soften the area and make it bleed.

Yay!! Better is always good. I had a girl with bumble foot. For gauze I have wrapped a warm wet (not soaked but good and wet) washcloth around the foot to moisten the area, and gauze comes right off. Just a thought, if you can apply it in the future. I am very happy to hear he is better, though. 😁
Thank you! I have a bumblefoot girl at the moment. We go rid of it the first time, but the second time I just let her go after a week. Once the guinea gets off the porch, she is going on. I may need to cut the infection out, rather than soak and squeeze. It's getting annoying to repeatedly squeeze.

Back
Top Bottom