young roo, questionable breed

3spittingducks

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2015
Hunterdon County NJ
Hi, I need help identifying this young roo. Had some trouble getting pictures this morning so I am hoping these are good enough to do the trick. The comb looks buttercup to me, but I am inexperienced. Thanks for any feedback you can offer. In the pics, it is the all-over, even patterned, grey/black/white, striped/dotted roo. I left out "tweed".

Well, he's barred, muffed, bearded, has white legs, and is lightly crested. All of those are dominant genes. There are probably several breeds that went into his creation. There is probably some Polish, some Easter Egger, and some Cuckoo Marans in there.

Thanks for your insight. I thought about cuckoo maran myself. I know the woman who sold the two in these pictures was doing EE, but she could not figure him out because he looked so different from all the other EE chicks that hatched. He is growing FAST and getting feisty. The other roo in the picture is his best friend. They hang out shoulder to shoulder all around the farm. I think he will be beautiful, but he is already bullying younger chickens, so his future is uncertain. Hmmmmm . . . . . . . .his name was Rose, until all those tail feathers showed up
sad.png

Yes, thanks. He is one of two that look like that. Their feet are feathered. I am thinking they are EE roos, does that sound right? They are BEAUTIFUL!! but I am going to be overpopulated in the roo department so some of them will need to go.

Back
Top Bottom